Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I back up my phone to the Cloud, can I delete things off my phone to create more space to download the new iOS?

I'm very confused by the cloud. I need more space on my phone to download the new update, so I was wondering if I back it up to the cloud, am I then able to delete things from my phone to create enough space to do so?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1.1

Posted on Dec 16, 2014 9:20 PM

1 reply

Dec 18, 2014 9:48 AM in response to squidney31091

Hello there, squidney31091.

When facing issues with updating iOS over-the-air, the following Knowledge Base article offers some best practices for updating your device:

Resolve issues with an over-the-air iOS update - Apple Support

Not enough space to update

If your device doesn't have enough space to download and install the update, you can use iTunes to update your device.

User uploaded file

If you can't connect to iTunes, you can make room for the update by removing content on your device that you don't use. To remove content, tap Usage Settings in the Software Update screen. Learn how to see the space used by your apps and their content.

Additionally this article provides some insight into how iCloud storage and backup works:

iCloud: iCloud storage and backup overview

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

Cheer,

Pedro.

If I back up my phone to the Cloud, can I delete things off my phone to create more space to download the new iOS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.