Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

There is no code on my iMac!

I am trying to sync my iPhone with iMac so that I can send SMS messages by using the Messages app in my iMac.

However, I cannot find the code shown on my iMac to allow iPhone text messages to be sent/received on iMac.

Where to find it?

Posted on Dec 17, 2014 4:39 AM

6 replies

Dec 18, 2014 1:40 PM in response to 5480

Hi 5480,

Welcome to the Support Communities! The resource below will explain how to setup the Continuity feature and troubleshoot issues like the code not appearing to verify the SMS.

Connect your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Mac using Continuity - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT6337

To use Continuity for SMS and MMS with your iPhone and your Mac, iPad or iPod touch

• SMS requires an iPhone with iOS 8.1 and an activated carrier plan.
  • Your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch need to use iOS 8.1, and your Mac needs to use OS X Yosemite.
  • Sign in to iMessage on your iPhone, your other iOS devices, and your Mac using the same Apple ID.
  • On your iPhone:
    1. Go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive > You Can Be Reached By, and add a check to both your phone number and email address.
    2. Go to Messages > Text Message Forwarding, and enable the device(s) you would like to forward messages to.
  • Your Mac, iPad, or iPod touch will display a code. Enter this code on your iPhone to verify the SMS feature.

Get help using Continuity with iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-us/TS5458

If a Continuity feature like Handoff, phone calls, Instant Hotspot, or SMS messages isn't working the way you'd expect, make sure your devices meet the requirements. Then check your settings.

Check System Requirements

Make sure your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac meet the system requirements for Continuity, and for the specific features you want to use.

Check your settings

Check the following settings on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch:

• Go to Settings > Wi-Fi and turn on Wi-Fi if necessary.
  • Make sure your iOS devices are connected to the same Wi-Fi network by going to Settings > Wi-Fi and comparing the name of the network each is on.
  • Go to Settings > Bluetooth and turn on Bluetooth if necessary.
  • Go to Settings > General > Handoff & Suggested Apps and make sure Handoff is on.
  • Go to Settings > Phone. If you see Wi-Fi Calling, turn it off.

Check the following settings on your Mac:

• Go to the Wi-Fi icon at the top of your screen and turn on Wi-Fi if necessary.
  • Make sure your Mac and iOS devices are connected to the same Wi-Fi network. Go to Settings > Wi-Fi on your iOS device and compare the name of the network with the Wi-Fi network on your Mac.
  • Go to the Bluetooth icon at the top of your screen and turn on Bluetooth if necessary.
  • In System Preferences > General, select “Allow Handoff between this Mac and your iCloud devices.” If you don't see this setting, your Mac may not support Handoff.
  • Open the FaceTime app, go to FaceTime > Preferences and turn on “iPhone Cellular Calls.”
  • Go to System Preferences, and sign out and then sign in again to your iCloud account.

If your device can't access the Internet using Instant Hotspot

If you don't see the option to use your iPhone or cellular-enabled iPad as an available Wi-Fi network, make sure that your cellular provider has provisioned Personal Hotspot on your device.

I hope this information helps ....

- Judy

Dec 18, 2014 11:29 PM in response to judysings

Thks a lot. Everything seems to be OK, except that I cannot check my phone number in Settings > Messages > Send & Receive > You Can Be Reached By because my phone number is in grey whereas my checked emails are all in black.

3 issues:

1. I found Settings > Messages > Send & Receive but there is no "You Can Be Reached By".

2. I did not find Wi-Fi Calling in Settings > Phone. No such option provided. I used to send/receive SMS and make calls by using iPhone until I upgaded my iOS to 8.1.2. My iMac is OS X 10.10.

3. Apple asks me to go to System Preferences, and sign out and then sign in again to your iCloud account. I find this very dangerous because all docs stored in iCloud will be deleted from my iMac. Is this really necessary? I do not want to run a risk that I lose everything.

Where exactly can I find the code on my iMac? Messages, FaceTime?

Dec 21, 2014 10:47 PM in response to judysings

I can now make calls by using iMac but I cannot send SMS by using my iMac.

Regarding Judy's previous e-mail, I am also having the following problems:

1. I found Settings > Messages > Send & Receive but there is no "You Can Be Reached By".

2. I did not find Wi-Fi Calling in Settings > Phone. No such option provided. I used to send/receive SMS and make calls by using iPhone until I upgaded my iOS to 8.1.2. My iMac is OS X 10.10.

Where exactly can I find the code on my iMac? In Face Time, in Messages or somewhere else?

There is no code on my iMac!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.