Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook air 6.2 mid 2013 runs out of memory on Yosemite. Safari running slow.

Hello,

My macbook air practically runs out of RAM. Just performed a clean install of Yosemite but the problem persists. Safari is sluggish and takes too long to load websites. See Etre Check below. Any ideas much appreciated.

thanks,

Lambros

Problem description:

Macbook Air 6.2 mid-2013 runs out of memory on Yosemite. Safari running slow.

EtreCheck version: 2.1.4 (107)

Report generated December 17, 2014 at 6:01:35 PM GMT+2

Click the [Support] links for help with non-Apple products.

Click the [Details] links for more information about that line.

Click the [Adware] links for help removing adware.

Hardware Information: ℹ️

MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2013) (Verified)

MacBook Air - model: MacBookAir6,2

1 1.3 GHz Intel Core i5 CPU: 2-core

4 GB RAM Not upgradeable

BANK 0/DIMM0

2 GB DDR3 1600 MHz ok

BANK 1/DIMM0

2 GB DDR3 1600 MHz ok

Bluetooth: Good - Handoff/Airdrop2 supported

Wireless: en0: 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac

Video Information: ℹ️

Intel HD Graphics 5000

Color LCD 1440 x 900

System Software: ℹ️

OS X 10.10.1 (14B25) - Uptime: 2 days 0:26:40

Disk Information: ℹ️

APPLE SSD SD0256F disk0 : (251 GB)

EFI (disk0s1) <not mounted> : 210 MB

Recovery HD (disk0s3) <not mounted> [Recovery]: 650 MB

Mac Book Air (disk1) / : 249.77 GB (224.07 GB free)

Core Storage: disk0s2 250.14 GB Online

USB Information: ℹ️

Apple Internal Memory Card Reader

Apple Inc. BRCM20702 Hub

Apple Inc. Bluetooth USB Host Controller

Thunderbolt Information: ℹ️

Apple Inc. thunderbolt_bus

Gatekeeper: ℹ️

Mac App Store and identified developers

Launch Agents: ℹ️

[not loaded] com.adobe.AAM.Updater-1.0.plist [Support]

Launch Daemons: ℹ️

[loaded] com.adobe.fpsaud.plist [Support]

[loaded] com.microsoft.office.licensing.helper.plist [Support]

User Launch Agents: ℹ️

[loaded] com.adobe.ARM.[...].plist [Support]

User Login Items: ℹ️

Dropbox Application (/Applications/Dropbox.app)

Internet Plug-ins: ℹ️

AdobeAAMDetect: Version: AdobeAAMDetect 1.0.0.0 - SDK 10.6 [Support]

FlashPlayer-10.6: Version: 16.0.0.235 - SDK 10.6 [Support]

QuickTime Plugin: Version: 7.7.3

AdobePDFViewerNPAPI: Version: 11.0.0 - SDK 10.6 [Support]

AdobePDFViewer: Version: 11.0.0 - SDK 10.6 [Support]

Flash Player: Version: 16.0.0.235 - SDK 10.6 [Support]

Default Browser: Version: 600 - SDK 10.10

SharePointBrowserPlugin: Version: 14.1.3 - SDK 10.6 [Support]

3rd Party Preference Panes: ℹ️

Flash Player [Support]

Time Machine: ℹ️

Time Machine not configured!

Top Processes by CPU: ℹ️

9% WindowServer

1% launchd

1% recentsd

1% syncdefaultsd

1% cloudd

Top Processes by Memory: ℹ️

146 MB Mail

133 MB softwareupdated

103 MB Safari

101 MB com.apple.WebKit.WebContent

73 MB Finder

Virtual Memory Information: ℹ️

559 MB Free RAM

1.76 GB Active RAM

1.06 GB Inactive RAM

671 MB Wired RAM

3.82 GB Page-ins

111 MB Page-outs

Diagnostics Information: ℹ️

Dec 17, 2014, 12:15:47 AM discoveryd_2014-12-17-001547_[redacted].crash

Dec 15, 2014, 05:35:30 PM Self test - passed

Dec 15, 2014, 11:38:41 AM com.apple.preferences.internetaccounts.remoteservice_2014-12-15-113841_[redacte d].crash

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), 6.2 256SSD 4MB RAM

Posted on Dec 17, 2014 8:08 AM

10 replies

Dec 17, 2014 1:24 PM in response to Lambros_gr

Please answer as many of the following questions as you can. You may already have answered some of them. In that case, there's no need to repeat the answers.

Back up all data before making any changes.

Have you restarted your router and your broadband device (if they're separate) since you first noticed the problem? If not, do that now and see whether there's any change.

If your browser is Safari, then from the Safari menu bar, select

Safari Preferences... Privacy Remove All Website Data

and confirm. If the Downloads button (with the icon of a downward-pointing arrow) is showing in the toolbar, click it and then click Clear in the box that appears. The download history will be removed. Any change?

If you're running OS X 10.9 or later, select the Advanced tab in the Preferences window and uncheck the box marked

Stop plug-ins to save power

Any change?

Quit and relaunch the browser. Any change?

Enable guest logins* and log in as Guest. Don't use the Safari-only “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac.”

While logged in as Guest, you won’t have access to any of your documents or settings. Applications will behave as if you were running them for the first time. Don’t be alarmed by this behavior; it’s normal. If you need any passwords or other personal data in order to complete the test, memorize, print, or write them down before you begin.

Test while logged in as Guest. Same problem?

After testing, log out of the guest account and, in your own account, disable it if you wish. Any files you created in the guest account will be deleted automatically when you log out of it.

*Note: If you’ve activated “Find My Mac” or FileVault, then you can’t enable the Guest account. The “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac” is not the same. Create a new account in which to test, and delete it, including its home folder, after testing.

Are any other web browsers installed, and are they the same? What about other Internet applications, such as iTunes and the App Store?

If other browsers and Internet applications are also affected, follow these instructions and test. Any change?

If Parental Controls is active for any user, please turn it off and test. Any change?

If only Safari is affected, launch the Activity Monitor application and enter "web" (without the quotes) in the search box. If a process named "Safari Web Content" is shown in red or is using more than about 5% of a CPU, select it and force it to quit by clicking the X or Quit Process button in the toolbar of the window. There may be more than one such process. Any improvement?

Follow the instructions in this support article. Any change?

Open the iCloud preference pane and uncheck the box marked Photos, if it's checked. Any change?

Are there any other devices on the same network that can browse the Web, and are they affected?

If you can test Safari on another network, is it the same there?

If you connect to your router with Wi-Fi and you can also connect with Ethernet, do that and turn off Wi-Fi. Any difference?

Dec 17, 2014 2:07 PM in response to Linc Davis

WOW! Thank you very much for taking the time to do all that. I copied your textand my answers are marked in red.

Have you restarted your router and your broadband device (if they're separate) since you first noticed the problem? If not, do that now and see whether there's any change.
Yes. There was no change.

If your browser is Safari, then from the Safari menu bar, select

Safari Preferences... Privacy Remove All Website Data

and confirm. If the Downloads button (with the icon of a downward-pointing arrow) is showing in the toolbar, click it and then click Clear in the box that appears. The download history will be removed. Any change?
Done. Much better, still RAM running very low but Safari response has improved slightly.

If you're running OS X 10.9 or later, select the Advanced tab in the Preferences window and uncheck the box marked

Stop plug-ins to save power

Any change?

Quit and relaunch the browser. Any change?
Done. No noticeable change.

Enable guest logins* and log in as Guest. Don't use the Safari-only “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac.”

While logged in as Guest, you won’t have access to any of your documents or settings. Applications will behave as if you were running them for the first time. Don’t be alarmed by this behavior; it’s normal. If you need any passwords or other personal data in order to complete the test, memorize, print, or write them down before you begin.

Test while logged in as Guest. Same problem?
Tried it. Exactly the same.

After testing, log out of the guest account and, in your own account, disable it if you wish. Any files you created in the guest account will be deleted automatically when you log out of it.

*Note: If you’ve activated “Find My Mac” or FileVault, then you can’t enable the Guest account. The “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac” is not the same. Create a new account in which to test, and delete it, including its home folder, after testing.

Are any other web browsers installed, and are they the same? What about other Internet applications, such as iTunes and the App Store?
I have also installed Google Chrome. It works slightly better. iTunes is fine, though I have no music in it. My entire library is on my other Mac and I have not enabled home sharing. The App Store is sluggish. It takes time to load the "home page".

If other browsers and Internet applications are also affected, follow these instructions and test. Any change?
No change.

If Parental Controls is active for any user, please turn it off and test. Any change?
Inactive. Never been activated.

If only Safari is affected, launch the Activity Monitor application and enter "web" (without the quotes) in the search box. If a process named "Safari Web Content" is shown in red or is using more than about 5% of a CPU, select it and force it to quit by clicking the Xor Quit Process button in the toolbar of the window. There may be more than one such process. Any improvement?
Safari Web Content seems to be using 0% though Safari was running at the time with several open tabs.

Follow the instructions in this support article. Any change?

Open the iCloud preference pane and uncheck the box marked Photos, if it's checked. Any change?
It wasn't checked anyway.

Are there any other devices on the same network that can browse the Web, and are they affected?
My iPhone 5 and my iPad Air. They seem to be working just fine.

If you can test Safari on another network, is it the same there?
Tested it at my office wi-fi this morning. Unfortunately, the same.

If you connect to your router with Wi-Fi and you can also connect with Ethernet, do that and turn off Wi-Fi. Any difference? No Ethernet cable for macbook air.

Dec 17, 2014 10:42 PM in response to Lambros_gr

Hello again!

I was so happy to see everything work seemlesly, no nothing does.

IT seems to be a connection issue. Safari will not even load my router homepage and i cannot download e-mails from mail.

Ocassionally i get the message in Safari that the server is busy and the connection was dropped. Though all other devices are running and connecting just fine.

Dec 18, 2014 8:56 AM in response to Lambros_gr

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It’s unlikely to solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

The purpose of the test is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party software that loads automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, by a font conflict, or by corruption of the file system or of certain system caches.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards, if applicable. Start up in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. You must hold down the shift key twice: once when you turn on the computer, and again when you log in.

Note: If FileVault is enabled in OS X 10.9 or earlier, or if a firmware password is set, or if the startup volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to start up and run than normal, with limited graphics performance, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain models. The next normal startup may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually login automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, restart as usual (not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of the test.

macbook air 6.2 mid 2013 runs out of memory on Yosemite. Safari running slow.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.