Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos lost! Help!

I was editing a photo in and when I clicked done, all the other photos in the album disappeared! I had just finished a huge project that I have to send out soon! Is there anywhere they might be? Do I have to start over from scratch?

Thanks for any input.

OS 10.8.5

IPhoto 11

iWeb '09-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 17, 2014 11:50 AM

14 replies

Dec 17, 2014 12:58 PM in response to winterwren

What kind of backup do you have? See this document on how to restore your iPhoto library from a Time Machine backup:

iPhoto '11: Restoring from Time Machine with iPhoto '11 (9.2 or later) and OS X Lion 10.7.2 (or later)

Do you know anything about the photos in the album that are missing? If they are not in the Trash, it is very likely that they are still in their original events like Larry said and you just have to search for them. Look at the Faces albums, if you know the persons in the photos, or look for the date or the camera make.

Dec 17, 2014 1:17 PM in response to léonie

I will try to restore from the backup. I can't remember if my backup is Time Machine or if I used the Western Digital one! And I'm not finding that info anywhere on my computer. I actually have two external hard drives doing backup.

I found a few of the pictures in last import and I think I can find the originals in my pictures folder. It's just that I had cropped, edited, etc, organized into the correct order and was finishing up to send when they all disappeared. That editing took hours to do, that's what I'm trying to avoid having to do again.

Dec 17, 2014 1:48 PM in response to winterwren

It's just that I had cropped, edited, etc, organized into the correct order and was finishing up to send when they all disappeared. That editing took hours to do, that's what I'm trying to avoid having to do again.

And that is why it would useful to find the event in iPhoto with your edited photos and not only the original image files outside.

I found a few of the pictures in last import

The Last Import album will have the edited versions.

And if you remember anything at all about the other missing image, you might try to search for the events with a smart album. Did you add any text? Do you remember the date range you took the photos? have you added keywords or ratings?

User uploaded file

Dec 17, 2014 2:01 PM in response to winterwren

Again removing from an album does not affect the copy in the library - all edits are reflected in every view - events, photos, last import, albums, etc - there is only one photo and it is in your library - all other views are just different ways to view the photo (they are not "places" with copies of the photo) - so the photos in your library (viewed in any way - events, albums, photos, etc) have all changes you made

If you restore a backup then any changes made after that backup copy was made will be lost

LN

Dec 18, 2014 9:57 AM in response to LarryHN

A heartfelt thank you to scaafmaster, leonie, and LarryHN for all your help! I was able to recover all the edited versions of the photos from Events. I didn't realize those would be the edited copies but indeed they were, which saved a lot of work. I just had to reassemble them in the correct order and send off the project...a few hours ahead of the deadline!

Thank you so much!

Photos lost! Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.