Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail won't open after Yosemite Update

Finally accepted to install pending updates to Yosemite 10.10.1 and now I have several issues (in order of seriousness):

1) Apple Mail won't launch. App seems to be running but no Message Viewer or other windows will appear.

2) Can't modify Internet Accounts settings in System preferences. Saw in some other threads that some people solved mail issues by deleting a recreating accounts, but after I try to delete any of them (they are all gmail accounts) they just reappear...so no luck there!

3) iCloud preference pane won't load in Internet Accounts or in iCloud tab of System Preferences.

I've read many forum threads to see if I can find a solution but to no avail. THIS ***! Does anyone else have the same problem or know how to fix this? If so please help! Many thanks, Pascoe

Last updates installed:

- Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Update - Version 6.02

- Safari Version 8.0.2

System Info:

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2011)

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Dec 17, 2014 11:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2014 11:56 AM

I have personally posted a suggested fix multiple times.

Move the Mail application to the Trash. Then:

Reinstalling OS X Without Erasing the Drive

Boot to the Recovery HD: Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions: Upon startup select Disk Utility from the main menu. Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions as follows.

When the recovery menu appears select Disk Utility. After DU loads select your hard drive entry (mfgr.'s ID and drive size) from the the left side list. In the DU status area you will see an entry for the S.M.A.R.T. status of the hard drive. If it does not say "Verified" then the hard drive is failing or failed. (SMART status is not reported on external Firewire or USB drives.) If the drive is "Verified" then select your OS X volume from the list on the left (sub-entry below the drive entry,) click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If DU reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button. Wait until the operation completes, then quit DU and return to the main menu.

Reinstall OS X: Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Continue button.

Download and install the 10.10.1 update.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible because it is three times faster than wireless.

Also see:

Reinstall OS X Without Erasing the Drive

OS X Yosemite- Reinstall OS X

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet

if possible because it is three times faster than wireless.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 17, 2014 11:56 AM in response to Pascoe99

I have personally posted a suggested fix multiple times.

Move the Mail application to the Trash. Then:

Reinstalling OS X Without Erasing the Drive

Boot to the Recovery HD: Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions: Upon startup select Disk Utility from the main menu. Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions as follows.

When the recovery menu appears select Disk Utility. After DU loads select your hard drive entry (mfgr.'s ID and drive size) from the the left side list. In the DU status area you will see an entry for the S.M.A.R.T. status of the hard drive. If it does not say "Verified" then the hard drive is failing or failed. (SMART status is not reported on external Firewire or USB drives.) If the drive is "Verified" then select your OS X volume from the list on the left (sub-entry below the drive entry,) click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If DU reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button. Wait until the operation completes, then quit DU and return to the main menu.

Reinstall OS X: Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Continue button.

Download and install the 10.10.1 update.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible because it is three times faster than wireless.

Also see:

Reinstall OS X Without Erasing the Drive

OS X Yosemite- Reinstall OS X

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet

if possible because it is three times faster than wireless.

Dec 18, 2014 3:54 AM in response to Kappy

Thanks Kappy,

This sounds like a scary process but I'll give it a go.

I tried to move mail to the trash but it said: “Mail” can’t be modified or deleted because it’s required by OS X.

When you say "Boot to Recovery HD", do I need to set up a separate drive for this or is this already somewhere on my internal HD automatically?

Will let you know how I get on.

Pascoe

Apple Mail won't open after Yosemite Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.