Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i set up Text messaging on my computer. iMessage is already set up

I have iMessage set up on my Mac but I can't remember how to set up text messaging to go on my computer from my phone

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Dec 17, 2014 7:29 PM

1 reply

Dec 19, 2014 1:28 PM in response to leclercd

Hello leclercd,

To use the Continuity feature where SMS is forwarded from your iPhone to your Mac, iPad, and iPod touch, please follow the steps outlined below.

SMS

With Continuity, all the SMS and MMS text messages you send and receive on your iPhone also appear on your Mac, iPad, and iPod touch. Even if the person you’re communicating with doesn’t have an iPhone. And regardless of what phone they have, you can reply from whichever device is closest to you, including your iPad or Mac. You can also initiate a conversation by clicking a phone number in Safari, Contacts, or Calendar.

User uploaded file

To use Continuity for SMS and MMS with your iPhone and your Mac, iPad or iPod touch

• Your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch need to use iOS 8.1, and your Mac needs to use OS X Yosemite.
  • Sign in to iMessage on your iPhone, your other iOS devices, and your Mac using the same Apple ID.
  • On your iPhone:
    1. Go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive > You Can Be Reached By, and add a check to both your phone number and email address.
    2. Go to Messages > Text Message Forwarding, and enable the device(s) you would like to forward messages to.
  • Your Mac, iPad, or iPod touch will display a code. Enter this code on your iPhone to verify the SMS feature.

Connect your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Mac using Continuity - Apple Support

Take care,

Alex H.

how do i set up Text messaging on my computer. iMessage is already set up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.