Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

El Gato or Hauppauge? Best For Mac? Help!!!

I JUST POSTED THIS TO hdpvrcapture.com & avsforum.COM

As well as sending it to Hauppauge & El Gato seperately.

Forgive the lack of clearer paragraphs, but with copy & paste the paragraphs disappear on this forum.

WHAT IS THE BEST VIDEO RECORDER FOR MAC?

EL GATO of HAUPPAUGE?

PLEASE HELP....I REALLY NEED YOUR HELP!!!!!

HERE ARE THE DETAILS

I AM NOT REALLY A GAMER!!!

PLEASE HELP!!!

NOTE:

1. I own an Apple MAC Pro Desktop Tower

2. I own ONE TV a 32" Sony HD TV (1080i or 1080P if by HDMI)

3. I own ONE Dish Network DuoDVR VIP 722K, it's a Dual Tuner HD Satellite Receiver (It can operate two TV's...TV1 in HD at 1080i or 1080p if using HDMI......TV2 at 480p SD only....But since I only have ONE TV I only use the 2nd tuner (TV2) to be able to record one show on tuner 2.....While at the same time on the 1st tuner (TV1) I'm watching, channel surfing, pausing live TV and recording onto my VCR/VHS little video clips of what I see as I channel surf from tuner 1 (TV1).

4. I still own a VCR and still use it to record my movies and channel surfing clips to VHS/VCR cassette tapes (But this must stop soon).

5. My signal comes from the HD Dish to the HD Sat. Receiver to the VCR then to the HD Television.

6. I own a large stereo digital receiver that I loop all sound through, so whatever I hear on my TV or computer, I can hear it on my speakers depending on what button I select on the stereo receiver.

7. I also own an Apple TV, I very small black box that allows me to connect my iPhone to The Apple TV by picking up my iPhone's personal wi-fi hotspot and then whatever I can see or watch on my iPhone I can then see on my 32" HD TV. I do NOT have ANY internet connection other than my iPhone, I have no regular wi-fi, cable, dsl, not even dial up, the only internet I have is a cellular data internet connection from my celluar telephone provider. HOW WILL THE APPLE TV WORK WITH ALL OF THIS?

NOTE: Regardless of what I say below I just need to be able to do the following no matter WHAT I have to buy.

1. Be able to record what I see as I channel surf onto my MAC.

2. Basically I need to replace what my VCR is now doing for me, except it needs to be recorded on my MAC.

3. I would like to be able to dub the movies on my Satellite DVR to my MAC as a backup.

4. It would be nice if this recorder would be able to handle timed recordings, dual viewing and recording, pausing live tv?, etc stuff like that but NOT vital I guess, considering what I've been putting up with for all these years.

5. I really need to dub/transfer hundreds of VHS tapes to my MAC, but I've heard that many recorders have trouble with this.

6. I must dub/transfer many dozens of 8MM Camcorder video tapes to my mac, I have not researched this yet, I don't know if they have better luck than the VHS transfers.

7. I also have literally thousands of micro-cassette audio & regular audio cassette tapes that need to be dubbed, but that is probably not applicable here.

HERE'S THE DETAILS.......

1. MAC Pro Desktop Tower, Dish Network Satellite Receiver DuoDVR VIP 722k, Sony HD TV, VCR, 8MM Camcorder

2. 7 months ago I converted to MAC I bought a used MAC pro tower, and I

am LOVING it, I was a PC guy for about 15 years, no more hand holding

and changing the PC's diapers FINALLY my computer is just a dependable

low maintenance friend.

3. By the way does anyone know if the Dish Network DuoDVR 722k is better than the 922k for what I'm doing?

4. I THINK I am getting ready to buy either an Hauppauge 1504 HDPVR Gaming

Edition Plus, or the Hauppauge HDPVR Gaming Edition Plus 2 OR PERHAPS something from El Gato (I have not researched El Gato yet).

5. I've spent some time researching this online, and have been on the

phone with Hauppauge several times, I DID look into El Gato as well,

but for SOME reason, I quickly reverted my thoughts back to Hauppauge;

but I can't remember why, I think it was something that limited me.

6. I've never even owned a tv tuner before, over the years and up to this

day, when I watch tv, I like to record some clips of what I watch BUT

I am still using a old VCR and this needs to change soon.

7. I am in my 50's and am not really a gamer yet, maybe someday, all I

will likely use the recorder for is for recording movies and tv clips

etc while channel surfing and dubbing a LOT of VHS tapes & 8MM Camcorder videotapes to my MAC's

hard drive.

8. I NEED YOUR HELP in making the VERY BEST decision for ME.

9. I realize that a vast majority of tv is copy right protected so I will need to use the component

inputs/outputs when recording my TV clips or movies etc. Otherwise the copy right

protection will block me.

10. I DO realize that because I'm a MAC user that the BEST Hauppauge

solution is the Hauppauge HDPVR 1504 Gaming Edition Plus because the

MAC software comes bundled with it, but I also understand that

Hauppauge is mainly for PC users.

11. One person with first hand experience told me that the Hauppauge HDPVR 2 Gaming edition plus capture VHS transfers better than the Hauppauge HDPVR 1504

12. HERE IS THE ISSUE...I want to buy the Hauppauge 1504, I'll take

another look at El Gato (I was told El Gato is For MAC users), but for

some reason the last time I researched El Gato, I quickly learned

there was some limitation that sent me back to Hauppauge (can't

remember what).

13. HERE IS THE ONLY THING that is keeping me from buying the Hauppauge

1504, I will be doing a LOT of recording with this recorder to my MAC

Pro tower hard drive. This will include just recording movies while

watching satellite tv, and recording little clips from tv as I channel

surf AND AND AND.... DUBBING/TRANSFERRING MY HUGE NUMBER OF MY OLD VHS/VCR Video

Cassette Tapes & a lot of 8MM Camcorder video tapes using the Hauppauge or El Gato recorder to my Mac Pro

Tower hard drives.

14. I only mention this, because I've heard that the Hauppauge HDPVR 1504

"chokes" on VHS transfers. I don't know why and I don't even know if

this is true.

15. One person with first hand experience told me that the Hauppauge HDPVR 2 Gaming edition plus capture VHS transfers better than the Hauppauge HDPVR 1504...IS THIS TRUE.......If so what is my BEST solution NO MATTER WHAT THE BRAND IS????

16. I just want to buy THE VERY BEST recorder for my MAC Pro Tower, and

don't want ANY limitations with regards to copy right protection

issues or "choke" issues when dubbing my HUNDREDS of VHS tapes & 8MM Camcorder video tapes with

the Hauppauge 1504 or whatever I buy.

17. IS THERE A INTERNAL SOLUTION......YOU KNOW INSTALL A RECORDER OR CARD INTO MY MAC DESKTOP....OR IS THE EXTERNAL SOLUTION MORE FLEXIBLE? BETTER?

18. THE ONLY THING else that concerns me is that Hauppauge is primarily

for PC users and El Gato is primarily for MAC users,

19. BUT I am NOT sure El Gato has what I need, the issue that concerns me is that there is

SOME reason after researching El Gato that I returned to Hauppauge, I

need to do more research but I THINK it might have been something to

do with my NEED to use component inputs/outputs to avoid the copyright

protection issue, maybe El Gato doesn't have the component

connectors?.

20. IT WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED if you can offer me insight and advice on

HOW TO MAKE THE VERY BEST DECISION IN BUYING THE VERY BEST RECORDER

FOR MY MAC PRO TOWER, SATELLITE TV MOVIE, VHS & 8MM TRANSFER RECORDINGS.

Much Appreciation,

Randy

"Perfection Seeker"

P.S....I also have an Apple TV, a small black box a little larger than

a couple packs of cigarettes, how will this fit into the equation and

will it work with the Hauppauge 1504?

If the Hauppauge 1504 can only record & playback on a MAC, then what features and function will I be

missing out on?

One person told me to buy an OLD DVD recorder for PC

and use that because the copy right protection thing was not on the

older ones; hopefully I will not need to do this.

Another person said the Hauppauge Colossus might be my solution, I don't know.

I have done none or little research into this but does ATI, Avermedia Portable,

Eye TV, Sony have any solutions for me EXTERNAL OR INTERNAL? Any suggestions or advice

would be MUCH APPRECIATED......I JUST NEED TO BUY SOMETHING THAT I KNOW WILL WORK WELL FOR ME......I WAS HOPING FOR A SOLUTION SOON, BECAUSE I CAN'T GO ON FOREVER RESEARCHING THIS.......THANK YOU!!!!!!

P.P.S.....Do you know of any other REALLY GOOD WEBSITES I can post my

questions and concerns to?.....THANK YOU!!!!!!

PPPS…..I was told/under the impression after speaking to Hauppauge a few times that the HDPVR Gaming Edition Plus 1504? included the Mac software whereas the HDPVR 2 Gaming Edition Plus did NOT ship with Mac software, the last time I talked to Haupaugge, they advised me to forget the “2” because it doesn’t contain the Mac software (they said) BUT you mentioned that people who do VHS transfers have better luck with the HDPVR 2 Gaming Edition Plus 1504?….anyway.

From what I gather El Gato has their own PVR/devices for MAC that utilize EyeTV software for MAC computers.

BUT I could be wrong here but after reading your links, EyeTV is not only used on El Gato devices but can be used with Hauppauge devices as well?

Here’s a stupid question I guess I forget, I read so much; but can HDPVRcapture be used with El Gato devices?

IMPORTANT QUESTION: I just upgraded from a Dish Network 625 SD receiver to a Dish Network DuoDVR VIP 722k HD receiver…1st of all is THIS receiver COMPATIBLE with Hauppauge HDPVR 2 GE Plus? AND The El Gato devices and HDPVRcapture AND EyeTV?

IN OTHER WORDS……Regardless of what you say to me here PRIVATELY…..I know you have your personal interests BUT what would I be better off with since I am a MAC PERSON?

My 8MM camcorder video tapes are in really good condition

BUT many of my VHS tapes are in BAD condition, they have not been played in over 20 years many of them. You mentioned below that your recorder will only work with supported resolutions, if so many of my tapes are in such bad condition does this mean they will be rejected?

Almost all of my PERSONALLY recorded VHS tapes are recordings of me just channel surfing and recording movies over the past 30 years, AND I almost always recorded in SLP mode on the VCR (not SLP mode)…..To be able to get 6-8 hours on one VHS tape….HOW DOES THIS PLAY IN…..Keep in mind I have THOUSANDS of VHS tapes, but only 50-100 8MM Camcorder video tapes.

What type of VCR would be best to use to attempt this project? I mean should I buy a old high end one on Ebay or just anything that works?

One of your links mentioned that HDPVR 2 GE Plus does NOT do HDMI……..What will I be missing out on by NOT having this option, I assume both HDPVR & HDPVR 2 have component plugs.

Hauppauge told me that I can only record and playback If I use a MAC, What features & functions will I be missing out on if I get the Hauppauge instead of the El Gato, 1st of all I don’ even know if El Gato had component plugs or not, but both El Gato & EyeTV is made especially for MAC……..BUT yours looks/seems more impressive and expandable.

THIS IS NOT A QUESTION FOR YOU I GUESS BUT…..I think my satellite dish only has one input cable feeding the dual tuner dual tv Dish Network tuner I have, to be able to do picture in picture so I can pause live tv on 2 channels at once will I need to feed a 2nd cable from the dish to do this?

I DID READ ALL THE FAQ’S BUT STILL HAVE QUESTIONS…..hopefully I’m not too redundant.

VERY IMPORTANT QUESTIONS:

Does Hauppauge come with a remote control or ability to incorporate remote control into my satellite/mac/tv system?

Hauppauge’s lowest supported resolution is 576i50, but aren’t video tapes something like 240i or p?

What does “no PCC support” mean?

Do I need a special add on sound card or just the one that is built into my Mac Pro Tower?

Will the HDPVR 2 GE Plus record audio?

Will this Hauppauge device work in any way with my Apple TV?

Does HDPVR have more RCA jacks than HDPVR 2?

I’ve heard that people had better success dubbing VHS tapes with HDPVR 2, and you mentioned something about ONE HOUR trouble free recording….My question is since most of my VHS tapes are 6 hours in length will the one hour error free limit ? Limit me or can I go longer than 1 hour?

I do NOT have ANY internet where i live, no wi-fi, no cable , no DSL, ONLY cellular data to my iPhone tethered to my MAC PRO and my internet speed is usually 1 mbps or less………Does this factor in with the basic use of this device as imagined?

Will I have no delay pass through of live tv and playing back of pre-recorded movies on my satellite DVR?

Is the any way to pause live or recorded play?

Do I need a Windows PC to INSTALL Hauppauge & HDPVRcapture software?

Is this the right time to buy? I mean are there any Big changes on the horizon where it would be wise to wait?

Who has smaller file sizes Hauppauge or El Gato?

Will I need a distribution amplifier? I need to go from my satellite receiver to the PVR and then to the TV AND the MAC……Will I need a distribution amplifier?

Are there any INTERNAL solution that would benefit me?

Can Hauppauge work with both my tuners on my dual satellite tv receiver?

Do I use quicktime to record VHS & 8MM?

How does iMovie fit into all of this?

How does Final Cut Pro fit into all of this? I’M NEW TO MAC!!!!!!!

Does a VCR require a component or composite cable?

Can I insert logos with my MAC?

Can I trim/edit with my MAC?

Can I stream with my MAC?

Can I upload (if ever needed) with my MAC?

Can I record game play (if ever needed) on my MAC?

Can I chat or add things to feed or whatever with my MAC?

I need to make a decision soon, all this research is frustrating me and killing my brain and eyesight!!!

Thank You!!!!!!

Randy

Posted on Dec 17, 2014 9:12 PM

2 replies

Sep 1, 2015 8:37 AM in response to APPLE DREAMER - PC CLINGER

one question at a time please. I suggest you take things one piece, and one step at a time. If you try to think about everything and its ramifications, you may have a fit....after I read your question I was on the way to having one, but then I stopped off at dunkin' donuts or some other coffee place. the Hauppage HD PVR only works with Windows, same with the HD PVR 2. the gaming edition one does work with Mac, as does the other one. You don't need a colossus board that works with Windows. Elgato works fine, but bear in mind it doesn't really have anything with a built in hard drive, and apart from the video capture kit, and the gaming stuff, plus eyeTV, that's all it has. I think you want something that will let you record from vhs, 8mm, etc, and let you use your mac like a PVR. I think blackmagicdesign does something like this . Also remember that you probably won't be able to record from HDMI.

The person's suggestion that you get a 2nd party pvr (a used one) is good. I used to have one of those and it was very simple to use and make dvd's from

IF you do decide to transcribe all your VHS tapes to whatever, you are looking at a whole lot of time and effort and hard drive space. No, I didn't see anything with a remote from Hauppage or Elgato. Upgrading your dish box won't have anything to do with any of that, and no, EyeTV software won't work with Hauppage and vice versa. As for which is for Mac and which is PC users, that doesn't matter either. All that matters is---does it work on Mac, or not.

that's all. As far as I know there is no internal solution. No card, just an external box. I am trying to answer your questions, Mr. Randy "Perfection Seeker"

but I am just one user, as are we all here. there is only so much I can do for you. Frankly, sir, I'd suggest that you go out and do the research yourself into what each thing can and cannot do, and if it supports the mac at all. the only thing I can take a stab at are your last questions:

1. probably not. You'd probably use some kind of video recording/capture software, like the one that would be with the video capture device that you'd need to buy to dub vhs/8mm to your Mac *hint*hint*. 2. iMovie is what you would use to edit/clean up your videos that you recorded/dubbed, to prepare them for eventual watching/burning to dvd. It can record from certain camcorders with a firewire connection, but not all of them. 3: final cut pro is a more professional version of iMovie and in the same vein as it. Because you are new to mac, I'd suggest sticking with iMovie which does require learning how to use it. 4: your standard vcr requires a composite (yellow, white, Red) cable and its resolution will be, at best 360 lines. How does AppleTV fit into all of this? Not much, to fully use it, you'll need WiFi and Internet of some kind, and then airplay/Home sharing turned on between your mac and your AppleTv. Will it record your shows? no. Will it play anything other than music, movies bought from the iTunes store or anything that iTunes cannot read? no. will it work with the Hauppage box? I have no idea at all. I suppose you can do all of those things with your Mac, but you'll have to learn how to do that yourself. I have no idea and I can't teach you. I can't help you with your other problems either,

See You next Time

JB

El Gato or Hauppauge? Best For Mac? Help!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.