Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WIFI does not see any access point

Has anyone ever had external USB connections prevent WIFI from seeing/connecting to access points?

Since upgrading to Yosemite when I first turn on the system the WIFI indicator shows it is searching, but will not connect to network previous configured. When i type in the SSD and password for the point it searches then comes back and says it can not connect to the access point. The signal strength indicator is showing four (4) to five (5) bars. I work away from home and this has happened at both locations. I am using a MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013. During my troubleshooting I disconnected all USB, I have two (2) Anker USB 3.0 Hubs connected one on each USB port and have a total of nine (9) hard drives connected, and speaker connections and booted the system and the WIFI connected without issue. I then joked both USB Hubs and the WIFI stayed connected.

I thought this might be due to Yosemite so I erased and repartitioned the hard drive and loaded Mavericks and unfortunately had the same results. I am not sure why this is happening as I had the sam USB hubs and number of hard drives connected to my 2009 iMac before upgrading to the MacBook Pro and had no problem. When I first started using the MacBook Pro I did not have this problem. I was also a Yosemite Beta tester and had the beta Yosemite on this system and did not have this problem. It was not until I installed the full version this happened. When it first happened I also erased the hard drive and re-installed Yosemite and it did not correct the problem.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Dec 17, 2014 9:53 PM

2 replies

Dec 22, 2014 11:08 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thank you for the information. Come to find out it is the new USB 3.0 hub, which also goes under back of the laptop to raise and make the keyboard more ergonomic. It is supposed to be certified for Win and Mac. I have never had USB effect my WIFI in the past and never even considered it would cause a problem.

Thank you again for the in-site.

WIFI does not see any access point

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.