Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Use iMac as Mac Mini display

18 December, 2014

I'm am interested in buying a mac mini (the latest model).

I know that the Mac Mini is compatible with thunderbolt displays however would also like to know if it is possible to use an iMac as a display with a Mac Mini.

If this is possible, is it also possible to utilise the specific components of the iMac's hardware such as the hard drive for extra storage.

If an iMac is a compatible display for the Mac mini, which iMac models are compatible.

I understand that there are both HDMI and Thunderbolt ports so can you please respond with answers addressing which iMac model is capable of utilising which port.

Thanks,

Max

Mac mini, iMac as a Mac Mini display

Posted on Dec 18, 2014 8:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2014 9:02 AM

Newer iMacs can use Targe Display Mode. See:

Target Display Mode: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) - Apple Support

Otherwise you need the iMac working normally and use an app like:

ScreenRecycler

With the iMac operating normal you can use file sharing

Mac Basics: File Sharing - Apple Support

4 replies

Dec 19, 2014 2:28 PM in response to lllaass

Can newer iMacs also be utilised as a display for the Mac Mini through either thunderbolt or HDMI cables?

Also:

Do target display mode and ScreenRecylcer work smoothly and quickly?

…and as also asked in the main post, is it also possible to utilise the specific components of the iMac's hardware such as the hard drive for extra storage?

Thanks,

Max

Dec 19, 2014 3:04 PM in response to vecuvis

As I said:

Newer iMacs can use Targe Display Mode. See:

Target Display Mode: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) - Apple Support

No HDMI connection from Mini to iMac possible

Target Display is very very good.

Screen recycle is OK if ethernet connection

As I said before, you can use file sharing to use the other computer HD

You can also boot the iMac in Target Disk mode and connect the two via FireWire and use the iMac's internal HD and DVD if it has one.

You can use just about any HDMI monitor or TV for a display for the Mini. You can also use a display with VGA or DVI with proper adopter.

Use iMac as Mac Mini display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.