Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Volume button not working after placing a call

Hi, the volume buttons on my iphone 6 plus (with iOS 8.1.2) will stop working after placing a phone call. It remains like this until I turn off and then on the screen using the power button. I have been having this issue since iOS 7 on an iphone 5 so I believe it is a problem of iOS or some combination of settings on my phone. Anybody know how to fix this?

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.1.2, Also iPhone 5 with iOS 7.x

Posted on Dec 18, 2014 10:29 AM

2 replies

Dec 20, 2014 10:02 AM in response to kc ong

Hello there, kc.

When the buttons on your iOS device have intermittent functionality, the following Knowledge Base article offers up some great steps for troubleshooting:

Get help with buttons and switches on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If the volume buttons, Ring/Silent switch, or Side Switch doesn't work

On iPhone, the volume buttons and Ring/Silent switch are on the left side of the device. This image shows these buttons on iPhone 6. The buttons on other iPhone models are similar.

User uploaded file

On iPad, the volume buttons and Side Switch are on the right side of the device:
User uploaded file

If any of these buttons or switches aren't working, follow these steps. Test after each step:

1. Unlock your device. Some buttons don't work from the Lock screen.
  2. Check for debris or dirt around the button or switch and clean it with a soft cloth.
  3. Remove all protective films and cases that might interfere with the button or switch.

Get more help

If the button or switch still isn't working, if it works intermittently, or if it's damaged, contact Apple Supportto set up service.

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

Pedro.

Volume button not working after placing a call

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.