Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I restore a Mac Mini 1.83?

Hey there,

I was just given two Mac Mini 2006 1.83ghz the other day (old, out of use office computers) and one powers on and works perfectly, the other tells me its has a boot error and to insert boot disc.

My issue with the first one is that because it used to be an office computer, it loads to the home screen from my office. It requires a username and password. Sadly, the person who had the admin information is no longer with the company. Is there a way for my to restore this mini and remove the previous admin? I believe this one has also been updated to lion.

The second one just loads to a boot error and says to load the boot disc. (which weren't given to me with the macs)

I will happily buy the boot discs if I know that installing it will remove either the admin lock or fix the boot issue. Or even replacing the hard drive itself.

Also, with the second one, I'm not sure if the USB ports work on it as I plugged my apple keyboard in and I couldn't seem to type anything or turn the caps lock light on which did work perfectly on the first.

These are at my free will to upgrade and play with as I please, so any suggestion would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!

Mac mini

Posted on Dec 18, 2014 10:59 AM

15 replies

Dec 18, 2014 11:13 AM in response to Brittinypayne

The 2006 Minis can only go as high as Snow Leopard, 10.6.8

To reset the admin PW:

OS X: Changing or resetting an account password

Forgot Mac Password? How to Reset Your Mac Password (with or without CD)

Change the Admin Password with Mac OS X Single User Mode

Reset mac mini admin password: Apple Support Communities

You can call Apple and order the original installation disks for a small cost.

You can also order the Snow leopard install disk here

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

Here are videos for replacing the HD and other things

http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/mac_mini_06-08/

Do you have another Mac with Snow Leopard?

The second MIni may have other problems.

Dec 18, 2014 11:39 AM in response to lllaass

This is actually my first time with any kind of mac. I had an iPhone, but that was my only apple product previously so I am a complete newby!

I was able to get into the start up menu and try to override the password. I was able to log in using my own personal apple id, set up country, time, all that fun stuff and it still loaded to admin log in page. Would purchasing and installing the snow leopard disk restore the hard drive? Or would it be best to purchase and new hard drive then instal snow leopard?

Thanks again!

Dec 18, 2014 12:11 PM in response to Brittinypayne

Assuming you're talking about the unit that's working, there doesn't seem to be any reason at all to buy a new hard drive. The other unit that failed or is failing may have a logic board problem with possibly both the SATA and at least one USB port not working, so I wouldn't buy a new hard drive for that either because the main board may be the problem. It would need to be checked out (for example, are ALL the USB ports bad....does the FireWire port work, etc).

I'm not sure what you mean by "Admin Screen." Do you mean login screen, which should show a scrollable list of users that can log in?

Usually a unit like that came with install media unless it was bought in a company group buy and installed via a network install. In either case, unless the install source on a network was eliminated, I would think you could either find the old install media or get access to the network install and re-install from their. The DVD for Snow Leopard is only 20 bucks (last time I checked, anyway) and if it was me, I'd want my own personal copy - just make sure the DVD player reads.

Dec 18, 2014 12:32 PM in response to CaptH

Sorry, I do mean the login screen. It only shows my company logo, then asks for a username and password. The only other options are sleep, restart or turn off.

I spoke with the lady who gave them to me, and she said the guy who had those admin codes is no longer with the company and she was never given them. (which is why I was able to have them).

I completely agree and want my own personal copy and will be purchasing the disc. Will that wipe everything on the hardrive and unlock it?

Also, do I need leopard before I add snow leopard?

Thanks again! I apologize for my absolute new-ness to Macs!

Dec 18, 2014 12:59 PM in response to Brittinypayne

If you get the SN disk you can boot from that by depressing the C key when booting.

The format the HD and install a fresh copy of SN.

No reason for a new HD if it works.

You do not need Leopard if you order the disk I said to order.

When yo press the Power button on the second Mini what happens?

Does the light go on?

Do you hear the fan?

Do you hear a chime?

Anything on the display?

Dec 18, 2014 5:32 PM in response to lllaass

So I found a link and decided to try this. Its a temp fix and it seemed to have worked on the first one for the time being. I also found out through the boot CMD S start up that it has been modified. Now that I have accessed it, I also found out it has been upgraded to lion. I am actually using it as we type!

As for the other one, I called apple to set a genius bar appointment for them to install the snow leopard for me.

http://www.hackmac.org/tutorials/how-to-create-a-new-administrator-account/

The link allowed me to create a new user, it still logs into the company page, but I am able to sign in now with my new created user and password.

Once again, I cannot thank you enough for your advice!

How do I restore a Mac Mini 1.83?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.