Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hearing in social settings (restaurants, social gatherings) - which HA truly works

i've tried a number of HAs, none seem to do the job. Am now trying the Starkey Halo. In order to stream, do I need to use the mc option?

iPhone 5c, iOS 8.1.1

Posted on Dec 18, 2014 5:02 PM

9 replies

Dec 19, 2014 3:59 AM in response to Privprof

Streaming is a feature that allows you to pass sound from your iPhone to your hearing aids. You do not need to use the mic for that.

I wear Halos and really appreciate the fact that I can adjust the sound in various situations with the TruLink app. It's a rudimentary sort of control using a horizontal slider for treble/bass and a vertical slider for volume. Your audiologist has much greater control over the shape of the sound and can create a few presets for you. You can create many more with the TruLink app.

Dec 19, 2014 6:02 AM in response to OldGnome

The Halos do not work very well in social settings (none of the 5 HAs I've tried are any better) when not streaming. The problem is that the background noise is not sufficiently suppressed without also suppressing upfront volume. In order to stream, there has to be an Apple product involved. So I was wondering if anyone had used the Iphone as a mic in a social setting so that conversation would stream into the HAs. I've tried the sound adjustments and they don't help in that kind of environment either. We don't have an Apple TV and I guess the same question applies to the "TV" program. I've tried both programs (no streaming) and neither are very effective. I've talked to many folks who have serious loss at the high frequencies and it seems to be a unanimous opinion that none of the HAs can address the problem in the kind of noise that occurs in social settings. Hence my question.

Dec 19, 2014 6:16 AM in response to Privprof

I can understand where you are coming from. I typically turn my HA's down when in certain restaurants, especially when there is little in the way of sound dampening materials in the area and the place is busy. The background noise is intolerable.

I have tried the mic in meetings and it can help amplify the voices in the room, but I can then also get other sounds amplified as well.

I don't know what Apple TV has to do with your hearing aids. What is your thinking there? For TV in general, I still have to rely on close-captioning because I hesitate to turn up the Halos too far or other sounds can be startling.

No HA is going to be able to provide perfect hearing and some situations just don't lend themselves to hearing aids. I am attending an NFL game this weekend and I expect my HAs to be pretty useless in that environment. I might even wear ear plugs.

May 24, 2015 2:46 AM in response to OldGnome

I find the ComfortBoost option helpful in noisy surroundings. As for the mic, using the iPhone mic with TrueLink isn't all that great, unless your partner speaks directly into the phone. I've found the iMegaphone app helpful as it seems to bypass Apple-restrictions on amplification volume. The free version lacks the speech filter however. The i-Hear app by the same developer seems to be identical but costs more ...

I have the impression that the SoundSpace interface within TruLink isn't just a mere treble-bass/volume control, but rather does things to the sound-compression as well (albeit unforeseeably so).

May 29, 2015 1:38 AM in response to OldGnome

"Comfort Boost" is a feature of the TruLink app.

Comfort boost allows you to aggressively reduce noise while optimizing sound quality in noisy environments with an on- demand control on the Remote screen.

(user guide)

It has to be activated in the TruLink settings-menu.

I've been fiddling with the SoundSpace interface because when I play the guitar it sounded horrible. But I guess that with time, and having figured out a few presets, like you, I won't be using it that much. I don't really find the geo-tagging all that helpful either.

Having said all that, I like the HAs, and after trying out the various models, I think I'll go for the i90.

May 29, 2015 3:44 AM in response to OldGnome

Weird.

I'm using an iPhone6, but I don't think that could be the reason you don't have the feature...

I found this footnote in the user manual https://starkeypro.com/pdfs/trulink/TruLink_Hearing_Control_App_User_Guide.pdf

*Important Note: The Comfort Boost feature is available with TruLink 2.0 and updated products. Please consult with your Hearing Care Professional for updates and more information about Comfort Boost.

(sorry for the small print, but that is exactly what it is)

😕

Hearing in social settings (restaurants, social gatherings) - which HA truly works

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.