Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ios 8.1.2 wifi not working

I first updated my iphone 4s with the ios 8 and everything went to ****. No wifi despite trying every trick I could find online requiring hours of screwing around and getting frustrated beyond belief. I had it come back ONCE, but that lasted about 10 minutes. The wifi button in settings does not even allow itself to be turned on. NOTHING. Yes yes, I've done a hard reset, reset network settings, fiddled with location services...literally everything I could find online that was suggested.

So, all the sudden 8.1.2 came out. YAY!!! All my problems would be solved because it seemed EVERYONE in the world is ****** off about one loss of function or another. No. Nothing. No change at all. My camera also stopped working. Freezes right after being turned on.

NO WIFI. AT ALL.

|My phone bill went thru the roof because of data usage since I use it at work and at home all on wifi. I have a 1gb plan but went way over. Damned if I'm gonna get a more expensive package just because of apple's crappy software. Time to say goodbye to iphone soon I think.

Anyone have any clue as to how to get wifi running? No,it isn't the router. The wifi button won't go active. I can't even get the choice to use wifi at all.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Thanks!!!!!!

iPhone 4S, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Dec 18, 2014 3:37 PM

4 replies

Dec 20, 2014 1:34 PM in response to jtreid

Hello jtreid,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

From your post I see that your Wi-Fi settings are grayed out or dim on your iPhone, and even through all of the troubleshooting you've already done, it still remains the same. I definietly understand how frustrating this experience is, so at this point I suggest that you contact Apple support for further assistance and service options.

Follow these steps to resolve the issue:

1. Restart your iOS device.
  2. Make sure that airplane mode is off by tapping Settings > Airplane Mode.
  3. Reset the network settings by tapping Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.
    This will reset all network settings, including Bluetooth pairing records, Wi-Fi passwords, VPN, and APN settings.
  4. Make sure that your device is using the latest software. To do so, connect your device to your computer and check for updates in iTunes.

If you still can't turn Wi-Fi on, please contact Apple for support and service options. If you can turn Wi-Fi on but are experiencing other issues with Wi-Fi, see how to resolve those Wi-Fi issues.

iOS: Wi-Fi settings grayed out or dim - Apple Support

Take care,

Alex H.

Jan 14, 2015 4:08 PM in response to jtreid

Remarkably the fix that is suggested on this u-tube video works. May not last forever but I'm guessing you just repeat it.

Basically, use a hair dryer to heat the very top (only) of the front of the phone, do that till the over heat message shows, turn phone power off, put in a ziplock bag in the fridge for a few minutes. Power it back on and it works. Just tried it and was successful!!

good luck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj10bz5bI6A

ios 8.1.2 wifi not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.