Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home Sharing - 1 down 1 to go

I have a Windows 7 PC running iTunes 12.0.1.26 with my main music library.

iPad 2 - iOS 8.1.2

iPhone 5s - iOS 8.1.2

With iOS 7 and the previous version of iTunes I ran Home Sharing to both Apple devices no sweat, worked slick.

With iOS 8 and the Version 12 of iTunes, not so slick.

Both Apple devices would recognize my library on my PC, when I tried to share, the circle which shows the share progress would get to exactly 1/2 way on both devices (not at the same time) stop, and finally after a minute the error message "Unable to turn on Home Sharing".

I tried everything. Turned of Home Sharing on my PC, shut down my Apple ID on my music on both the Apple devices, reset both Apple devices with no effect.

Powered things up, down, reset. Same result.

Finally after reading a ton of connect problem blogs, I turned off IPv6 on my router.

Voila, the iPad connects no problem.

However, the iPhone, same issue, the share progress circle gets exactly 1/2 pauses and finally after about a minute "Unable to turn on Home Sharing".

On the phone I tried to log into a bogus apple ID to try to reset any buffers.

Powered off, removed Home Sharing from iTunes, powered the router off, and back up, numerous times.

I've spent about 10 hours and counting trying to make the share work, with no luck.

Any suggestions (other than try another router) would be welcome.

Thanks for your help.

Windows 7

Posted on Dec 18, 2014 5:18 PM

5 replies

Dec 20, 2014 2:14 PM in response to running_ws

Hi running_ws,

It sounds like you have been on the right track in troubleshooting this issue; I'm glad you were able to get Home Sharing working on your iPad again. If you continue to have Home Sharing issues with your iPhone, you may want to double-check the troubleshooting steps outlined in the following article (apologies if you have already done so):

Troubleshooting Home Sharing - Apple Support

Sincerely,

- Brenden

Dec 22, 2014 7:28 PM in response to brenden dv

Hi Brenden,

Actually I am really back to square one.

Yesterday, the iPhone was able to share, while the iPad was not. Typically, when on the rare occasion the iPhone is successful with the share, the little circle showing progress during sharing, completes very quickly. That's what the iPhone did yesterday.

Then the iPad did the sickening pause at the 1/2 way mark, a minute elapses and the Unable to turn on Home Sharing message appears.

I work in IT. These intermittent problems cause us to tear our hair out.

Is there no more detail associated with the conditions which cause the devices to throw this error?

I've literally spent over a dozen hours Googling, and trying to sift through all the forums with folks experiencing a similar or the same problem.

Thanks.

Home Sharing - 1 down 1 to go

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.