Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I update my iPhone 3gs to iOS 6?

Hello,

I have an iPhone 3G S.

It has iOS 5.1.1, and I would like to update it to 6.1.6.

iOS 8, is already released a couple of months ago, and Yosemite for Mac is also released.

Is my iPhone going to crash, if I update it, because of being simply too old?

Or is it safe to update?

Thanks

-pokekart

<Email Edited By Host>

iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.1.1, null

Posted on Dec 19, 2014 3:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2014 5:53 PM

No harm should come to it after updating; just make sure you backup your data first.

There is always the possibility that something will go wrong during the update, but in most cases they complete without any issues.

~Lyssa

5 replies

Jun 4, 2016 12:48 PM in response to Curiously Perplexed

iTunes will always update a phone to the latest version of iOS available for that phone.

So, while iOS 9 is available in general, iOS 6 is the latest version available for the 3GS. You should be able to update the 3GS to iOS 6 just fine.

A newer phone, like the iPhone 4, would have to be updated to iOS 7, as that's the latest version available for that model.

Does that help?

~Lyssa

Can I update my iPhone 3gs to iOS 6?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.