Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PC migration very slow

Migrating from a PC running XP to an iMac running OS X 10.10.1 (Yosemite). After 24 hours the progress bar is about a quarter across yet the time remaining has changed from about 10 hours down to about 4 hours remaining? I have disabled the firewall on the PC and am connected by network cable via the router: the activity lights by the cable sockets on the router are both flashing fast. I have also stopped both computers from sleeping, etc. What would happen if I stopped the process part way through and resumed it later?

Patrick M

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Dec 19, 2014 7:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2014 8:43 AM

The result will probably be an incomplete migration causing the migrated account to be corrupted to an unknown degree, or, the account may be incomplete yet perfectly usable.

The migration may be complete in a few more hours, or it may progress to 99.9% and appear to hang forever after that. There really is no way to determine in advance what's holding it up, or whether the partially migrated account will be usable.

If you terminate the migration prematurely, a usable account might be created, or not. Migration Assistant / Setup Assistant can't pick up where it left off and resume its progress from there. Other than that, terminating the migration won't damage your Mac in any way.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 19, 2014 8:43 AM in response to PatrickMarks

The result will probably be an incomplete migration causing the migrated account to be corrupted to an unknown degree, or, the account may be incomplete yet perfectly usable.

The migration may be complete in a few more hours, or it may progress to 99.9% and appear to hang forever after that. There really is no way to determine in advance what's holding it up, or whether the partially migrated account will be usable.

If you terminate the migration prematurely, a usable account might be created, or not. Migration Assistant / Setup Assistant can't pick up where it left off and resume its progress from there. Other than that, terminating the migration won't damage your Mac in any way.

Dec 19, 2014 9:23 AM in response to John Galt

When I came back into the room the migration had stopped and It was asking me to start again! I did this and the progress bar quickly moved to just over half done. However, as the first time, when it asked me to name the operating system it had automatically inserted 'Windows XP' but when I changed this to 'Windows 7' it said that this was already in use so i just put in a random word and it accepted that. Alas, looking at the Parallels screen, it seems to be trying to install Windows XP even though Win 7 is already there? I am now very confused (-and tired!).

Dec 19, 2014 11:21 AM in response to PatrickMarks

Certain, Windows-equivalent information is transferred to the Mac under OS X with Migration Assistant but to my knowledge it isn't intended to duplicate a Windows installation. I suspect it created an OS X account named "Windows XP" which is probably not what you wanted to accomplish.

This explains what it does: About Windows Migration Assistant - Apple Support.

You might be better off asking the company that supports Parallels or someone more familiar with it.

PC migration very slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.