Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Word for Mac 2011 Opening all Docs/Crashing

Hello,

Today, after a restart of my MacBook Pro (Late 2013, Running Yosemite 10.10.1), Microsoft Word opens ALL recent documents to the point where it causes the program itself to error out and crash (though it does send a report to Microsoft).

I have tried several things (all found on Google, including moving com.microsoft.office.plist to the desktop). However, the issue still occurs.

Any help/suggestions/fixes for this?

I am at a complete loss, and I have much work to do.

Thanks,

Heather

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Dec 19, 2014 12:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2014 12:45 PM

Deleting com.microsoft.office.plist won't do it.

Follow these steps

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2398768

Before you do that two things:

(1) be sure you have a good backup

(2) be sure you have your hands on your original Office 2011 install case and DVD.

Then Reinstall from DVD

Enter your product #

Then upgrade. It will take a few times before you get to final upgrade to current Office version. 14.4.7

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 19, 2014 12:45 PM in response to hnolen16

Deleting com.microsoft.office.plist won't do it.

Follow these steps

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2398768

Before you do that two things:

(1) be sure you have a good backup

(2) be sure you have your hands on your original Office 2011 install case and DVD.

Then Reinstall from DVD

Enter your product #

Then upgrade. It will take a few times before you get to final upgrade to current Office version. 14.4.7

Dec 19, 2014 12:58 PM in response to hnolen16

But there are other options on the first link - it's not necessarily the DVD you might need to find.

If you purchased it via Digital River or MS you would have an email with the product key in it - or your company or school if they held the license to upgrade.

As far as I know there is no way to retrieve a product key for Office 2011 as it is encrypted - some software does claim to retrieve it but I think that is only for Windows products and older Mac Office.

Dec 20, 2014 7:08 AM in response to hnolen16

Heather,

What happens in terms of error messages (that is, after you tried to install MS Office 2011)?

There were several steps in the process -

first removing Office

then you locating the product key and

then reinstalling using the disc that you found

did you get a successful install confirmation at that point after the install?

If so, then what happened?

If not a successful install confirmation, what did show up?

Word for Mac 2011 Opening all Docs/Crashing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.