Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS 10.10.1 Yosemite has Bluetooth Audio Delay (lag, latency)

I have a really annoying issue with my mid 2012 Macbook Air's bluetooth audio system.

I have the current version of Mac os (Yosemite 10.10.1).

I found that this version's bluetooth audio (A2DP) has 0.1-1.0 second of delay.

I haven't had this problem before I upgraded to Yosemite.

Now I cannot watch movie or any kinds of video with my bluetooth audio device.

I'm using Bose Soundlink 3 and Bose Soundlink Mini.

Both speakers have same delaying issue!

This is really annoying!

I heard that Apple will offer 10.10.2 upgrade soon, but I couldn't see that this new version will fix this issue or not.

I am really wishing that Apple will fix this problem by giving 10.10.2 version.

But, honestly, I cannot stand this problem until Apple will fix it.

If anyone knows a permanent fix, please let me know.

p.s. I know there is somentemperary fixes, but those are not helped me at all.

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Dec 19, 2014 1:26 PM

9 replies

Dec 19, 2014 3:32 PM in response to chokoleeju

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It makes no changes to your data.

Please triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

defaults read com.apple.BluetoothAudioAgent | pbcopy

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C.

Launch the built-in Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

Paste into the Terminal window by pressing the key combination command-V. I've tested these instructions only with the Safari web browser. If you use another browser, you may have to press the return key after pasting.

Wait for a new line ending in a dollar sign ($) to appear below what you entered.

The output of the command will be automatically copied to the Clipboard. If the command produced no output, the Clipboard will be empty. Paste into a reply to this message.

The Terminal window doesn't show the output. Please don't copy anything from there.

Dec 19, 2014 9:45 PM in response to Linc Davis

Below is the result.

As you see I changed "Apple Bitpool Min" from 2(default setting) to 40 because I heard that this will be fix bluetooth sound quality (not delaying issue).

However, when it was default setting, the delaying problem was occurred and now this setting also has the same problem.

{

"Apple Bitpool Max (editable)" = 64;

"Apple Bitpool Min (editable)" = 40;

"Apple Initial Bitpool (editable)" = 30;

"Negotiated Bitpool" = 40;

"Negotiated Bitpool Max" = 53;

"Negotiated Bitpool Min" = 2;

"Stream - Flush Ring on Packet Drop (editable)" = 0;

"Stream - Max Outstanding Packets (editable)" = 30;

"Stream Resume Delay" = "0.75";

}

Dec 31, 2014 5:56 AM in response to chokoleeju

Possible Solution:

Ever since my upgrade from Mavericks to Yosemite (early 2013 rMBP), I've had BT issues. More dropouts than lag, but this solution may solve both issues. Also, to my understanding, it solved someone else's WiFi issues.

Steps:

1. Open Finder
  2. Press Command+Shift+G
  3. Type /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration
  4. Backup all of the files at this location
  5. Delete all of the files in this location
  6. Reboot

Directly before doing this, my BT audio would dropout every 15-30 seconds or so.

Directly after doing this, my BT audio hasn't dropped out at all. I've been listening for about 30 minutes.

Finally, I can listen to audio wirelessly again!

Apr 20, 2015 8:21 PM in response to chokoleeju

I'm not sure it is a problem with Yosemite, per se. I was under the impression that the audio latency with Bluetooth speakers is intrinsic to Bluetooth technology caused by the time it takes for the audio signal to travel to the device. I'm willing to accept I'm wrong on this given that some of you have only noticed this problem recently. I, personally, have always experienced audio latency on all operating systems (Windows, Mac OS) and with any bluetooth device I've owned in the past.

Currently, I have a Bose Soundlink and Yosemite, and the latency seems similar to previous device/OS combinations.

My solution is to use VLC to watch movies and then set the audio offset (Window > Track Synchronisation) to -0.002s.

User uploaded file

Apr 20, 2015 8:44 PM in response to _CJK

NB. This site (bearing in mind it's selling a product) seems to imply that audio latency is down to the Bluetooth standard and the audio codec used. It quotes the "standard" Bluetooth latency as being approximately 150ms. Its product allegedly reduces this latency to 32ms.

Interestingly, if audio from an iOS device is sent to the Bluetooth speaker via AirPlay, there is no lag.

OS 10.10.1 Yosemite has Bluetooth Audio Delay (lag, latency)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.