Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook air built-in keyboard/trackpad only work at login screen

The built-in keyboard and trackpad have become unresponsive on my 2013 refurbished macbook air. When I restart it, everything works normally at the login screen, but becomes unresponsive again once I've logged in. The computer works fine with external inputs or a shared screen.

I've recently updated to yosemite. The fact that everything works up until login makes me think this is a software problem. I've tried all the troubleshooting steps listed here, and I've reset PRAM and SMC. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Dec 19, 2014 1:00 PM

6 replies

Jan 14, 2017 10:15 AM in response to jwilkerson

I know what the problem is and I'm going to tell you a solution that works 100% - This plagued me for months and I finally figured it out with Apple Support's help.

Here is what is going on: You have managed to enable an accessibility option called "Mouse Keys"

Here's what you need to do: You will notice that keys 7,8,9,u,i,o,j,k,l have all been turned into mouse keys...meaning, you can move and click your mouse with these keys (after you log into the machine).

Use those keys OR attach an external mouse...and go to Settings > Accessibility > Mouse & Trackpad...UNCHECK "Enable Mouse Keys" and click 'Option' on the right hand side and UNCHECK all check boxes there also and press ok.

Just for good measure, also UNCHECK the option that says "Ignore built-in trackpad...etc" on that main Mouse & Trackpad page.

PROBLEM SOLVED

The cause of this was just a dumb feature on this OS where the OS fails to tell you that you've accidentally enabled Mouse keys.

Dec 21, 2014 11:32 AM in response to jwilkerson

Hey jwilkerson,

If your keyboard and trackpad work normally until you log in but fail afterwards, it is possible that you have a login item for your user account that is causing the issue. You can temporarily disable all login items by holding down the shift key when you log in to the account.

Once you have confirmed that it is indeed a login item causing the issue, you can permanently disable such items from System Preferences > Users & Groups. See this article for a complete explanation -

OS X Yosemite: Open items automatically when you log in

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Be well,

Brett L

Jan 19, 2015 10:00 AM in response to uğur mirza

Unfortunately this turned out to be a hardware problem. None of the software fixes worked, ie clearing user preferences or even reinstalling yosemite, so I sent it to apple for maintenance. The repair summary says they replaced the Trackpad and the Cable IPD. It came back working fine without any more software changes, so I guess these parts were the problem.

I'm still really curious how the parts could be defective but work at the login screen. I guess there's some secondary connection that's used only during startup.

Feb 11, 2015 9:12 AM in response to jwilkerson

Hi,

I was able to get result from apple store after 24 days not hours days. They said it's my fault and they have found liquid inside of it and when i asked to see pictures of it they asked for COURT ORDER and repair will be cost around 400$.

I am %100 sure that my macbook air never touched with liquids.

I was using it for business and not even fluids there isn't any one scratch on it. I have been very careful.

Did they asked 400$ for you too ?

I am also using mac mini and iphone 5s. I think i will never buy an apple again.

And i will definetly go to court.

Repair R146244431

Apr 4, 2016 2:37 AM in response to jwilkerson

I have had the same problem and I have find the solution... I was ready to restaure an old back up from time machin. To do so, I have before '''clean the desktop'''. I classified and '''removed all the desktop documents and restart the computer'''. Miracle, my macbook worked fine again. I think a document on the desktop was the cause of an interference with the keyborad and trackpad.

Macbook air built-in keyboard/trackpad only work at login screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.