Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Permissions & Disk Space

My home user profile now only has permission to read and despite having plenty of hard drive space, I cannot download anything on account of a “not enough disk space”.

This problem started when I tried to open Firefox and was told that a copy was already open. I un-installed Firefox and attempted to download it again to re-install and the “not enough disk space” error came up.

Then I looked at the Sharing & Permissions menu on home user info and it states “you can only read”, but aside from the “everyone” list in the menu, the other two profiles say “fetching” under name and read & write under permissions.

I’ve run Verify Disk Permissions and Repair Disk Permissions using Disk Utility First Aid.

This also coincides with FaceTime not responding when I try to start it up.

I’d appreciate any advice you could offer.

OS Version: 10.10.1 (Build 14B25)

Architecture: x86_64

Hardware model: MacBookPro8,2

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,2

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Boot ROM Version: MBP81.0047.B27

SMC Version (system): 1.69f4

Posted on Dec 19, 2014 3:08 PM

5 replies

Dec 19, 2014 3:16 PM in response to THaffner

Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions - Yosemite, Mavericks, Mountain Lion or Lion

Boot to the Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

Repair

When the recovery menu appears select Disk Utility. After DU loads select your hard drive entry (mfgr.'s ID and drive size) from the the left side list. In the DU status area you will see an entry for the S.M.A.R.T. status of the hard drive. If it does not say "Verified" then the hard drive is failing or failed. (SMART status is not reported on external Firewire or USB drives.) If the drive is "Verified" then select your OS X volume from the list on the left (sub-entry below the drive entry,) click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If DU reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported then click on the Repair Permissions button. When the process is completed, then quit DU and return to the main menu. Select Restart from the Apple menu.

Reset User Permissions and ACLs in Lion/Mountain Lion

Boot to the Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

From the Utilities menu select Terminal. At the Terminal prompt enter: resetpassword. Press RETURN. When the window opens select your startup drive where it says "Select the volume containing the user account:" At the bottom of the window you will see, "Reset Home folder permissions and ACLs." Click on the Reset button. This fixes permissions in your User account which Disk Utility does not.

As for the space problem on the disk drive select the drive's icon on the Desktop. Press COMMAND-I to open the Get Info window. In the topmost panel you should see the space information for your startup drive: Capacity, Available, and Used. If Available space i under 20 GBs or 10% of Capacity, whichever is greater, then you need to get rid of files on the drive and store them on an external drive. Also, see:

Freeing Up Space on The Hard Drive

1. See Lion/Mountain Lion/Mavericks' Storage Display.

2. You can remove data from your Home folder except for the /Home/Library/ folder.

3. Visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQ on freeing up space on your hard drive.

4. Get an external hard drive on which to store some of your files after which you can

erase the data from your internal drive to free up space.

5. Also see Freeing space on your Mac OS X startup disk.

6. See Where did my Disk Space go?.

7. See The Storage Display.

You must Empty the Trash in order to recover the space they occupied on the hard drive.

You should consider replacing the drive with a larger one. Check out OWC for drives, tutorials, and toolkits.

Try using OmniDiskSweeper 1.8 or GrandPerspective to search your drive for large files and where they are located.

Dec 20, 2014 10:05 AM in response to Kappy

I Have over 350gb of hard drive space available. Verifying the HD "appears to be okay". Filesystem check exit code is 0. I have verified and repaired disk permissions three times and the same problems remain.I cannot open Skype or Facetime, as well as an academic referencing program called Bookends. I cannot even delete a file without having to enter a password first.

tthe home user "get info" tab now says I have custom permission, but goes into a spinning circle of doom when I try to change or add anything to these permissions.

Dec 20, 2014 10:12 AM in response to THaffner

Back up all data before proceeding.

This procedure will unlock all your user files (not system files) and reset their ownership, permissions, and access controls to the default. If you've intentionally set special values for those attributes on any of your files, they will be reverted. In that case, either stop here, or be prepared to recreate the settings if necessary. Do so only after verifying that those settings didn't cause the problem. If none of this is meaningful to you, you don't need to worry about it, but you do need to follow the instructions below.

Step 1

If you have more than one user, and the one in question is not an administrator, then go to Step 2.

Triple-click anywhere in the following line on this page to select it:

sudo find ~ $TMPDIR.. -exec chflags -h nouchg,nouappnd,noschg,nosappnd {} + -exec chown -h $UID {} + -exec chmod +rw {} + -exec chmod -h -N {} + -type d -exec chmod -h +x {} + 2>&-

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C.

Launch the built-in Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

Paste into the Terminal window by pressing command-V. I've tested these instructions only with the Safari web browser. If you use another browser, you may have to press the return key after pasting.

You'll be prompted for your login password, which won't be displayed when you type it. Type carefully and then press return. You may get a one-time warning to be careful. If you don’t have a login password, you’ll need to set one before you can run the command. If you see a message that your username "is not in the sudoers file," then you're not logged in as an administrator.

The command may take several minutes to run, depending on how many files you have. Wait for a new line ending in a dollar sign ($) to appear, then quit Terminal.

Step 2 (optional)

Take this step only if you have trouble with Step 1, if you prefer not to take it, or if it doesn't solve the problem.

Start up in Recovery mode. When the OS X Utilities screen appears, select

Utilities Terminal

from the menu bar. A Terminal window will open. In that window, type this:

resetp

Press the tab key. The partial command you typed will automatically be completed to this:

resetpassword

Press return. A Reset Password window will open. You’re not going to reset a password.

Select your startup volume ("Macintosh HD," unless you gave it a different name) if not already selected.

Select your username from the menu labeled Select the user account if not already selected.

Under Reset Home Directory Permissions and ACLs, click the Reset button.

Select

Restart

from the menu bar.

Permissions & Disk Space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.