Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imac g4 will not boot from restore cd

hi there everyone today i tryed booting my imac g4 into the mac os 9 restore for my imac and it loads up to the box with the bar and you can move the mouse and then you see a bar that say's starting mac os 9 and then you wait abit and then the screen go's black with a mouse on the screen and you move it but no mac os has booted i do not know what this is i have reset the nvram and pram but still nothing plz help i want os 9 on my imac so i can play my games thank you

iMac, Mac OS X (10.2.x)

Posted on Dec 19, 2014 11:38 PM

1 reply

Dec 20, 2014 11:46 AM in response to elsa11

It may need a new PRAM battery. Especially if you are sure you have the discs that came with the computer. No other discs except newer Apple retail discs will work. Retail means not OEM, and not too new to run. 700 Mhz, and 800 Mhz with Superdrive iMac G4s are the only ones that will boot into Mac OS 9 using their prebundled OS 9 discs. The combo drive 800 Mhz model can only use OS 9 in Classic. Classic is only available up to Mac OS X 10.4.11, and under 1 GHz models can use up to 10.4.6 retail, and 10.4.11 combo PowerPC to maximize their operating system. 1 GHz and higher can use 10.5.6 retail and upgrade up to 10.5.8 combo, but lose Classic on the same partition if taken up to 10.5 and above.

imac g4 will not boot from restore cd

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.