Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro Blue Screen of Death 0x0000007B

I am trying to install windows 7 onto a separate IDE hard drive in my Mac Pro.

I had this working years ago, and on recent boot ups, I can't get past the loading windows screen - it shows the flying windows logo, then Blue Screen Of Death with 0x0000007B

User uploaded file

I can't for the life of me figure out how to boot a windows DVD, or USB stick (these I can select on startup with holding option, and just simply seem to put the computer to sleep, almost in an off state). That's a problem for a different thread...

So I installed a fresh copy of windows to the IDE hard drive with my windows PC. Next I moved this into my mac pro, held down option, and tried to boot from it. no dice! I get this BSOD.

I can run from the hard drive with VMWare Fusion, I installed the bootcamp drivers with that.

I just can't figure out how to get this stupid thing to boot!

Apple's bootcamp utility is basically useless - it doesn't detect IDE hard drives. I don't wish to dual boot on my startup disk either - this is why I have a mac pro - I have 5 hard drives in this thing.

Any ideas here? Why can't this silly thing boot?????

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10), 3,1

Posted on Dec 19, 2014 7:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2014 9:23 PM

You may want to download EasyBCD and check that it shows up as a valid boot option. Also, if the IDE drive is plugged in MP and OSX is up, can you post the output of

diskutil list

diskutil cs list

sudo gpt -vv -r -show /dev/diskN (where N is number from the first command pointing to the IDE drive).

sudo fdisk /dev/diskN (where N is number from the first command pointing to the IDE drive).

You may also need to preform Startup Repair. Does the disk show up in System Preferences -> Startup Disk?

On the tower MP, Windows and OSX can be on separate physical disks. There may be a check on newer BCA for SATA/PCI connectivity of the designated drive during a new Windows installation, but if the installation is already working, it should not matter.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 19, 2014 9:23 PM in response to Akira69

You may want to download EasyBCD and check that it shows up as a valid boot option. Also, if the IDE drive is plugged in MP and OSX is up, can you post the output of

diskutil list

diskutil cs list

sudo gpt -vv -r -show /dev/diskN (where N is number from the first command pointing to the IDE drive).

sudo fdisk /dev/diskN (where N is number from the first command pointing to the IDE drive).

You may also need to preform Startup Repair. Does the disk show up in System Preferences -> Startup Disk?

On the tower MP, Windows and OSX can be on separate physical disks. There may be a check on newer BCA for SATA/PCI connectivity of the designated drive during a new Windows installation, but if the installation is already working, it should not matter.

Dec 19, 2014 9:36 PM in response to Loner T

Diskutil list

/dev/disk0

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *500.1 GB disk0

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_HFS ProMac SSD 499.1 GB disk0s2

3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 784.2 MB disk0s3

/dev/disk1

0: GUID_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk1

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1

2: Apple_HFS Rudy 999.9 GB disk1s2

/dev/disk2

0: GUID_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk2

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk2s1

2: Apple_HFS Khaaaaaan 999.9 GB disk2s2

/dev/disk3

0: GUID_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk3

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk3s1

2: Apple_HFS store_hack 999.9 GB disk3s2

/dev/disk4

0: FDisk_partition_scheme *250.1 GB disk4

1: Windows_NTFS BOOTCAMP 250.1 GB disk4s1

/dev/disk5

0: Apple_partition_scheme *2.0 TB disk5

1: Apple_partition_map 32.3 KB disk5s1

2: Apple_HFS My Book Pro 2.0 TB disk5s3

/dev/disk6

0: FDisk_partition_scheme *2.0 TB disk6

1: Apple_HFS Elements 2.0 TB disk6s1

/dev/disk7

0: GUID_partition_scheme *4.0 TB disk7

1: EFI EFI 314.6 MB disk7s1

2: Apple_HFS 4TB Seagate Time Mac... 4.0 TB disk7s2

diskutil cs list
No CoreStorage logical volume groups found

there shouldn't be a "-" in front of show, I removed that and it outputted:

gpt show: /dev/disk4: mediasize=250058268160; sectorsize=512; blocks=488395055

gpt show: /dev/disk4: MBR at sector 0

start size index contents

0 1 MBR

1 2047

2048 488390656 1 MBR part 7

488392704 2351

sudo fdisk /dev/diskN

Disk: /dev/disk4 geometry: 30401/255/63 [488395055 sectors]

Signature: 0xAA55

Starting Ending

#: id cyl hd sec - cyl hd sec [ start - size]

------------------------------------------------------------------------

*1: 07 0 32 33 - 1023 254 63 [ 2048 - 488390656] HPFS/QNX/AUX

2: 00 0 0 0 - 0 0 0 [ 0 - 0] unused

3: 00 0 0 0 - 0 0 0 [ 0 - 0] unused

4: 00 0 0 0 - 0 0 0 [ 0 - 0] unused

It shows up in startup disk:

User uploaded file

I tried repairing using VMWare. That doesn't help. I can't get this thing to the repair screen on boot up...

There you have it! Thanks... maybe you can sleuth whats going on from above.

Dec 22, 2014 9:05 PM in response to Loner T

Loner T wrote:

VMware has its own BIOS layer, so it will not help much.

Do you have any third-party NTFS software?

If you boot from the Windows install media and use bootrec.exe (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392), can you rebuild the BCD?

Well now here's the second half of my problem. I can't boot into any install disk - USB or DVD. I've tried EFI boot loaders, everything. This media is good for booting, I've confirmed it on my windows PC. What happens is that I can select the volume from the list either in an EFI boot loader or by the apple "hold option" method. all that happens here is that the computer pretty much goes to sleep. It's "on" in a sense, but the fans are off, etc. I've tried removing all my USB connections, everything. I can't boot the install media.

My best course is to take out the hard drive, hook it to my windows PC, and try the bootrec.exe method like you mention. Maybe I need another post for this installer boot issue.

Thanks for your help by the way.

Mac Pro Blue Screen of Death 0x0000007B

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.