Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why is it that I can send a message to anyone's mobile phone on my MacBook pro Messages programme and only to contacts who have iMessage on my iPad?

I thought that Yosemite and IOS 8.1.2 were compatible.

Thanks.

OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Dec 19, 2014 7:28 PM

3 replies

Dec 19, 2014 8:17 PM in response to sookite

Check the Messages settings on the iPhone. It should be Settings>Messages>Text Message Forwarding>Your iPad Name>On. Also Settings>Messages>Send & Receive at>you can be reached by iMessages at>select your phone number and email address. Then enter the code that appears on the iPad into the text field on the phone as required.

This explains in more detail.

Connect your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Mac using Continuity - Apple Support

To use Continuity for SMS and MMS with your iPhone and your Mac, iPad or iPod touch

• Your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch need to use iOS 8.1, and your Mac needs to use OS X Yosemite.
  • Sign in to iMessage on your iPhone, your other iOS devices, and your Mac using the same Apple ID.
  • On your iPhone:
    1. Go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive > You Can Be Reached By, and add a check to both your phone number and email address.
    2. Go to Messages > Text Message Forwarding, and enable the device(s) you would like to forward messages to.
  • Your Mac, iPad, or iPod touch will display a code. Enter this code on your iPhone to verify the SMS feature.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.