Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro 3.1 graphics card not found

SOS !!!

Last night I shuted down my Mac Pro ok.

This morning I power it on, it passes power on test (it makes the beep) , but the graphics card fun remains at full speed making noise and I have no signal on my display screen!

I connected to my Mac via teamviewer and opened system information where I see at graphics panel that there is no information for my card.

Does this means that I have to replace my graphics card, or it may be something else that causes problem to my graphics card?

The AASP store is far enough and transfer cost is expensive. I saved a copy of my S.I. named Mac Pro.spx. I also saved a copy of my console system log file named system.log and I uploaded them to a dropbox folder for anyone that interests to help me.

Link is https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ai3nqvk1mhjp9va/AADZpC2y_msah8ei2QrMlnYKa?dl=0

Mac Pro 3.1 ML 10.8.5User uploaded file

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), iphone 3GS, ipad mini

Posted on Dec 20, 2014 12:14 AM

19 replies

Dec 20, 2014 8:30 AM in response to lllaass

thank you.

I did these but unfortunately nothing changed. The card is seated and connected ok.

Also when I press the DIAG_LED BUTTON at the board LEDS 2,8,9 are on yellow,green,green indicating that there is no problem.(see service manual for early 2008 MacPro)

The Mac Pro is working, but no signal from both dvi slots AND the card's fan remains at full speed, making noise....

My card is NVIDIA GF8800.

Dec 20, 2014 11:33 AM in response to civil engineering

Believe it or not, some people like you bought another card (first) then were surprised when they went ahead and did the 350* 10-15 minute "bake" - it does work. If you walk through the steps, I even think there is a site that has it in written form, it is doable. Most things the first time, 'practice run" or learning whether memory or gpu or swapping out processor and heatsink are easier the 2nd (and 3rd) time.

ebay macvidcards has a number of cards, Barefeats.com has done lots of benchtests

The one caveat is the 3,1 does not with its PCIe 2.0 architecture get as much performance out of GPUs as later models.

Dec 20, 2014 11:29 PM in response to The hatter

ok hatter and lllaass,

you conviced me to give it try. But I have one question more: I still have the option to access my mac via teamviewer, just to do some urgent things. IF baking does not work, is there a chance I lose that option, or I have nothing to lose. For example if I ruin the card because of wrong assembly, will I be able to access mac via teamviewer, or it may be totally destroyed and mac can not boot up at all?

Dec 21, 2014 8:27 AM in response to civil engineering

Mac Screen Sharing may also work, but there is one major rub:

In order to share the screen, you must have a screen buffer inside your Mac that is building the screen-image to be shared. Without a working graphics card to hold the screen image, Sharing of any sort may be impossible.

Your graphics card is NOT WORKING. There is no possible way to break it more. You have nothing to lose by baking it.

Dec 22, 2014 1:33 PM in response to civil engineering

A strange thing happens.

I disconnected the card and pulled it out the MP.

I powered on MP and it works the same!!!

I mean the MP boots up normal and I do have normal access to it, via teamviewer!!!

No warning beeps, power on self test ok!!! No card connected!!!

How does this happens????

I also connected the card to slot2x16 and plugged it to the other power slot (the one for slot2) and same thing happens...

So I concluded it is not the slot1x16 failure and I am assured that I have only graphics card problem.

(please correct me if I am wrong)

So now I am going to disassemble the card and upload a photo of it.

Looking it from aside I see that the thermal pads are white and a little bit cracked...

Perhaps I will have to replace them.

Let's see how it goes....

Dec 22, 2014 3:18 PM in response to lllaass

not a bad idea...

I am gonna use a baking bag for the card. I red somwhere that baking it produces some bad fumes or smoke etc that may be good to avoid...

I also want to remove the top cover to clean the fan and the heatsink but it has no screws. The cover has some holes that are fixed to "ears" if you understand me and it is difficult to remove it.

Mac Pro 3.1 graphics card not found

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.