Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Express "wired client mode"

I own an AirPort Express 802.11n (1st Generation), so the old wall-plug but with 802.11 Draft N. The only thing I want to use it for, is for Airplay. Currently it is connected to my router in "client mode" over wireless, and my receiver is connected to it through the jack-interface. The Airport Express is only 1 meter away from the router.

Unfortunately the sound is very often stuttering, and sometimes it is hard to connect to Airplay at all. I will have to reboot my Macbook / router / Airport Express and then it will often work again for a while. In the meanwhile I have replaced my Macbook twice and also have a another router, so I don't think the problem is in one of those components.

Since I don't have problems with my wireless connection on my Macbook, I suspect that somehow the wireless connection between the router and the Airport Express is not stable.

I've done some research and I believe it is not possible, but I still have to ask: is it possible to have the Airport Express join my existing network using a wire (since it is very close to my router) and then still use it for Airplay? Or does the newest model maybe support this?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Dec 20, 2014 4:12 AM

7 replies

Dec 20, 2014 4:26 AM in response to luukburger

Hello!

You are probably correct about the unstable connection. A new Express will not solve this.

Since the router and Express are only 1 meter apart, please for testing purposes connect an Ethernet-cable between them to see if that improves things. If so, you've discovered the cause of your issue.

If not, we can still advise you, specifically to open network ports on your router (portforwarding)

Dec 20, 2014 4:35 AM in response to CellarDwellr

Hi CellarDwellr,

Thanks for your reply, but my question was exactly your suggestion. 🙂 I believe though, that the Airport Express cannot be in "client mode" over a wire and still use Airplay. It sort of says so in the article below, but I'm confused why this would not be possible, hence my question.

AirPort Express: What is client mode? - Apple Support

Before I go buy a cable, I would like to know this.

Greetings!

Dec 20, 2014 6:00 AM in response to luukburger

is it possible to have the Airport Express join my existing network using a wire (since it is very close to my router) and then still use it for Airplay?

Apple uses the term "join" to indicate a connection where the Express would connect to another router using a wireless connection.

This might not be intuitive, but if you want to connect the Express to another router using a wired Ethernet connection, the Express willl be configured to create a network. Name the network anything that you want for now, and assign device and network password. Update to save the settings.

User uploaded file

Then, use AirPort Utility on your Mac to go back into the settings and simply turn off the wireless function on the Express and Update to save the new setting, if you do not want another wireless network, although having an additional network comes in handy if you have guests on a regular basis.

User uploaded file

Dec 20, 2014 7:30 AM in response to Bob Timmons

@CellarDwelr: The article says...

"In client mode, AirPort Express does not offer itself as a wireless access point or use its Ethernet port. As a wireless client, AirPort Express is simply a destination for AirTunes and print jobs. It can join both 802.11b and 802.11g networks, including those using security features such as WEP and WPA-PSK."

@Bob Timmons: I will try what you suggest, but I feel that that would conflict with the quote above that states that the Ethernet port won't be in use. In fact, I just found a stackexchange post that states the same (including an explanation).

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/9644/why-does-airport-extreme-disable-l an-interfaces-in-client-mode

Dec 20, 2014 7:55 AM in response to luukburger

"In client mode, AirPort Express does not offer itself as a wireless access point or use its Ethernet port. As a wireless client, AirPort Express is simply a destination for AirTunes and print jobs. It can join both 802.11b and 802.11g networks, including those using security features such as WEP and WPA-PSK."

Not sure if you were aware or not, but the "quote" is for the ancient "802.11b/g" AirPort Express, now at least 8+ years old. You have an "802.11n" version of the Express, according to the info that you provided.

If you have purchased your AirPort Express after 2008, then the quote is not correct.

Airport Express "wired client mode"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.