Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Start up issue (or rather not starting up)

OK, I know this a very old issue. I have had similar before and resolved it with battery removal, replacement and PMU resets. The difference this time is that my fan takes-off at high speed. That might be the source of the burning smell, or not.

I have done all the 'start with Shift, P&R' etc as well as PMU etc

The red LED is lit.

I replaced DVD drive some years ago with device that does not have extraction hole. Keyboard command on power up does not work. So I am unable to try start from CD without breaking DVD drive (it would seem).

The problem started with program freeze.

I have 2 operating systems on separate hard drives (to use OS X.6 unsupported apps - it's worked for many years). I removed each drive but no good.

Any ideas?

Dual 1GHz PowerPC G4, Mac OS X (10.5.6), 1.5 GB SDRAM

Posted on Dec 20, 2014 8:44 AM

7 replies

Dec 20, 2014 10:58 AM in response to Denim Bridges

I replaced DVD drive some years ago with device that does not have extraction hole. Keyboard command on power up does not work. So I am unable to try start from CD without breaking DVD drive (it would seem).

Try holding down the mouse button during start-up. That's another way to eject the contents of the optical drive.

If this is a Mirrored Drive Door G4, they are plagued with power supply issues. Take the computer off wall power, open it and see if ther is any evidence of soot around either end of the power supply.

Dec 20, 2014 12:56 PM in response to Allan Jones

Thank you for the response, also. The keyboard and mouse aren't getting power. I plugged the mouse into USB #2 which lit the LED but the door did not open with the mouse depressed. No soot vents. I had recently blown the case interior out with canned air.

Regarding the no power to Kbd / mouse; the computer still will not start with devices disconnected.

Until a better suggestion I'm looking at PSU replacement.

Dec 20, 2014 7:03 PM in response to Denim Bridges

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-PowerMac-G4-Mirror-Drive-Doors-Power-Supply-REPAIR -SERVICE-MDD-/141030901102?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20d618c56e

Contact the seller for some PSU troubleshooting tips, if you have a digital multimeter you can measure some of the voltages in the socket from the PSU.

When I first installed my new PSU I still had no power up at all. The seller suggested removing everything: PCI cards, video card, RAM, disconnect optical and hard drive IDE cables and power molex plugs, PRAM battery. Try booting up the machine then force shut down by holding down power button 5 secs. Add one thing back at a time and try again. Then I ran the Apple Hardware Test, quick and extended test passed.

Since I replaced my PSU my MDD has been shutting down and starting up just fine. There was another recent thread here about that.

Aug 18, 2015 11:15 AM in response to Glen Doggett

Hi All,

Back again.

New issue is also a Start Up issue. If I flick the Power button quickly enough the computer starts up with the chime. If I don't manage the required dexterity the Power button glows and the fan(s) run but no chime and no start up. I find that powering down on the Power button is not as effective as yanking the power cord and trying to start again. Eventually - success! Any ideas?

This is a device with new logic board, refurbished power supply and battery with full charge

Dual 1GHz PowerPC G4, Mac OS X (10.5.6), 1.5 GB SDRAM

Start up issue (or rather not starting up)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.