Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

UPS not shutting down Yosemite

Hello,

As reported in the linked thread from apple.stackexchange.com, under Yosemite, UPS settings simply fail to shutdown the computer on a power outage. I have set my Mac Mini server to shutdown after 1 minute on UPS and nothing happens: http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/158294/uninterruptible-power-supply-not -shutting-down-mac-mini-running-yosemite

Anyone found a workaround for this? Apple, will this be fixed under 10.10.2?

Thank you

Posted on Dec 20, 2014 9:57 AM

13 replies

Dec 20, 2014 3:07 PM in response to TheMadCatMat

Instead of having it shut down after one minute can you set it to shut down based on the depletion of the battery in the UPS like say when it gets to 50%? What happens then? Just trying to determine if it is just one of the parameters or none work. Did it ever work correctly before? I suppose could be something between Yosemite and the APC design.

Jan 3, 2015 10:04 AM in response to tbirdvet

I just setup an APC RS 1500 with my iMac and am seeing the same issue when testing it (i.e. yanking the plug from the wall).

I've tried shutdown at 1 min and 5 min neither kicked in when I left the unit on battery. The screen dims and eventually turn off. The iMac even seems to have gone to sleep as the light on an external flash hd turned off. But clicking the mouse it came right back up. It doesn't shutdown according to the setting. I'll try checking the shutdown based on battery level too when I get a chance, but it appears to be a bug in Yosemite.

Update: This is also on stack exchange at: http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/158294/uninterruptible-power-supply-not -shutting-down-mac-mini-running-yosemite

Jan 3, 2015 10:21 AM in response to wshiii

Does your Mac shut down normally, when you tell it to through the Apple menu?

If not, then you might have an incomplete installation of Yosemite. The firmware (which is supposed to be updated, too) is somewhat in limbo, in which case you will need a clean install of Yosemite.

See also my reply to this thread:

Macbook Pro extremely slow since Yosemite update. Spinning wheel of death is constantly up.

Hope that helps.

Jan 3, 2015 1:14 PM in response to wshiii

The macs shut down fine when using the shut down command, this is a Yosemite issue with UPS signaling and power management....If Apple says it is a driver issue, I don't know exactly what driver they are referring to. UPS signaling does not require any driver installs, APC units as well as most units are automatically recognized by the OS without having to install any third party software. In fact, installing any sort of APC driver creates havoc and is to be avoided. I don't even think APC have even updated their power management suite for the mac since Apple has it built-in. As for possible third party drivers for other hardware interfering, it is highly unlikely as I have several brand new mac minis with no external hardware connected to them, running different software (FTP, Universal Type server, FM pro server) and they all behave the same way. This issue did not exist under mavericks, all 10.9 machines shut down fine when on UPS.

Jan 4, 2015 8:20 AM in response to TheMadCatMat

I agree, definitely looks like a bug in Yosemite. I tried out the option to shutdown based on % remaining and didn't see any change in behavior. The iMac still remained powered up even after the UPS dropped well below the configured threshold. Of note thou, after the first power loss event and pop-up notification I tried a second event. After that second event, the % remaining was no longer reported correctly on the Energy Saver dialog or the "pmset -g batt" command. It continued to report 96% (the level at the time of the second event) even thou the UPS dropped all the way down to 46%. I'll try to get some more data from 'pmset -g rawlog' during an event. I'm also curious if people have been acknowledging the popup notification for saving work or leaving it up. I'm assuming I'll be away form my computer during a power loss, so I've been leaving it up.

Jan 24, 2015 10:34 AM in response to TheMadCatMat

I can yet again confirm that this is an issue with Yosemite. I just installed a brand new Mac Pro, installed a new copy of Yosemite, plugged-in an APC UPS, and the same behavior is manifested. The computer does not shut down upon power loss. I get the message on screen that the computer is on UPS power, which means that the Mac sees the UPS and basic signaling works, but there is no automatic shut down. As this Mac Pro is to be used as a server, I will downgrade to Mavericks. I have tested this in Mavericks, same test (set auto shut down to 1 minute, unplug UPS), and it works perfectly. Proper UPS functionality is essential on a mission critical server. Please fix this Apple!

Mar 19, 2015 7:07 AM in response to TheMadCatMat

Wish I knew how! I'm running 10.10.2, just fitted a APC UPS (recognised by the OS), can't get it to auto shut down using any settings: Time/Percentage etc. etc. But similar to what others have said, the percentage on both the Menu Bar and in System Prefs! If the Mac OS thinks the battery is permanently at 100%, it probably doesn't think it's draining, so doesn't shut down!!!

Mar 19, 2015 8:40 AM in response to darth speede

...Further to what I typed earlier: Decided to install 10.10.3 (Beta) to see if this fixed the problem...

Set the preferences to 'Shut down the computer after using the UPS for:' (put this on just 1 minute, so I could watch if it worked).

Switched off the power (to the UPS) and immediately saw a warning dialogue window pop up in the centre of the iMac screen, warning me that I was on UPS power, and to save any work in progress!

Sixty seconds later, the Mac shut down - Voila!!! 😀

(Hopefully the aforementioned battery percentage will now work also - but only time will tell.)

UPS not shutting down Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.