Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New 5K Retina Display has backlight bleeding on black screen

Just got my 5K retina display and definite backlight bleeding issues specifically in top left hand corner. Debating whether to exchange or not. I opened a case with Apple and they are having engineering look at the photo. I spent 3K and shouldn't have backlight bleeding issues. I have never had this issue on any Mac until now. Does anyone else have similar issues with their IMac Retina display?User uploaded file

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Dec 20, 2014 11:22 AM

17 replies

Dec 20, 2014 2:04 PM in response to Kappy

Obviously you aren't answering my question so why bother responding. I posted a straight forward question and now you have twisted the entire question. Forums are so people can discuss their experiences, ask questions, etc. I have no idea how you are a level 10 especially if these are the type of responses you post on the forum. I know what the return policies are and certainly don't need your clarification. In fact if you did your homework Apple is in a holiday return period right now. Maybe you should get your facts straight before quoting a return policy that isn't in force at this time.

Dec 20, 2014 3:40 PM in response to floridman

Forums are so people can discuss their experiences, ask questions, etc.

You are correct. However, the majority that posts here are out of warranty. It would be wise of you to CALL AppleCare to express your concerns. Your concerns will be taken care of faster than wasting time on a message board waiting for answers you may or may not get and/or no one knows the answer to.

Take full advantage of your warranty before it runs out.

Dec 20, 2014 3:43 PM in response to Baby-Boomer-USofA

Baby Boomer (USofA) wrote:

Forums are so people can discuss their experiences, ask questions, etc.

You are correct. However, the majority that posts here are out of warranty. It would be wise of you to CALL AppleCare to express your concerns. Your concerns will be taken care of faster than wasting time on a message board waiting for answers you may or may not get and/or no one knows the answer to.

Take full advantage of your warranty before it runs out.

I'd like to add to this solid advice........BUY APPLECARE.

Dec 24, 2014 10:40 PM in response to floridman

floridman, I feel your pain and frustration.

To be frank, approximately a week ago I got my iMac retina unit. I waited probably two or three days to open the package, due to my busy work schedule. once I finally got around to opening it, I plugged it in and the first thing I noticed was the backlight bleeding issue that you're experiencing. Although my bleeding issue wasn't nearly as bad as yours, I figured it might just be normal for the screen to look like that while it's black. During normal use, the backlight spots are not an issue at all. The only time I would actually see them was when the display would go dark during gameplay, or while watching a video. Like you, I became extremely frustrated because I spent over $3000 on this computer. So I took it upon myself to go to a local Apple Store, and I started playing with one of their iMac retina units. While at the Apple Store, I restarted ther unit several times to see if I could see the back light while the screen was dark. Sure enough, their screen looked immaculate. At this point I was pretty frustrated, so I drove home and the first thing I did was call Apple Care. Their support line was very helpful, and they told me, because I'm in my 14 day period, I can return it for a new one. I got to give them one thing, got another unit on its way, and I should have it in a couple of days. Hopefully, through the grace of God, this new unit has no issues.

One last thing, I believe your issue might be the construction of the unit more so than the screen. I noticed by pushing on the borders of my screen, the bleeding would kind of disappear and reappear. Or, the screen could be bad...Wasn't too sure...

Hopefully all works well for you bud, and Merry Christmas!

Dec 25, 2014 7:40 AM in response to iMac Cowboy

I did the same thing and went to an Apple Store and tested their display model. Restarted several times and the screen was uniform and black. No bleeding issues at all. I had already placed an order for a replacement unit which is arriving tomorrow. Clearly the backlight issue isn't normal. Honestly I think this issue may possibly have something to do with where the units are built. My current unit was manufactured in China. The replacement unit was manufactured in Fremont, Ca. I think the quality of electronics built in China isn't up to par with build quality in the US. The backlight bleeding is totally unacceptable especially on a retina display. What surprises me is that Apple would actually ship units with this issue. It makes you wonder if they even do a quality control inspection prior to shipping. My unit should never have left the factory with this issue. I am praying the new unit will have a good screen. Will know tomorrow. Hope your replacement unit works out for you.

Merry Christmas!

Jan 6, 2015 5:46 PM in response to iMac Cowboy

I am working with AppleCare to get another replacement. IMO this backlight bleeding issue is not acceptable especially when spending $3000. I would recommend you do the same. Like you my replacement is no where near as bad but it has faint back light bleeding at the top of the screen. There is a manufacturing problem and if enough people report the issue then maybe Apple will address the issue on future builds.

New 5K Retina Display has backlight bleeding on black screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.