Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I mass delete photos in iOS 8

I've off backed up 2600 photos to my desktop and no longer need them on my iPad Air 2. However, I've found no way to mass delete photos using iOS8 other than doing 2600 finger taps! (followed by tapping the trash symbol). There's got to be an easier way! What am I missing?

iPad Air, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Dec 20, 2014 11:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2014 4:40 PM

In the Moments view you can select complete Moments to delete them, not only individual photos.

http://help.apple.com/ipad/8/#/iPad99c6ec9e

Open the "Photos" tab, navigate to "Moments", click "Select" in the upper right corner.

Then click "Select" besides each moment and finally the Trash icon.

Don't forget to empty the "Recently deleted" album, or the photos will stay on the iPad.

Or connect your iPhone to your Mac with the USB cable and launch Image Capture. In Image Capture you can delete all photos from the Camera Roll of your iPad. Select all photos in Image Capture, then press delete.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 20, 2014 4:40 PM in response to bob423423

In the Moments view you can select complete Moments to delete them, not only individual photos.

Open the "Photos" tab, navigate to "Moments", click "Select" in the upper right corner.

Don't forget to empty the "Recently deleted" album, or the photos will stay on the iPad.

Or connect your iPhone to your Mac with the USB cable and launch Image Capture. In Image Capture you can delete all photos from the Camera Roll of your iPad. Select all photos in Image Capture, then press delete.

Dec 20, 2014 8:03 PM in response to léonie

léonie wrote:

There are no Moments folders in iOS 8, tried that once and Moments didn't come up but just now it did on the second try, strange. However, there really are no Moments folders for the Deleted Folders.

Dec 21, 2014 12:56 AM in response to bob423423

The "Photos" view toggles between Years, Collections, Moments, Places.

It is not very intuitive, how it is done, and not documented in the Help. Click the photos strip to switch to the next view, not the date or the pace name. Keep tapping the photo strip until you are seeing "Moments".

In "Moments" View tap "Select" at the top of the screen (besides the looking glass icon for the search field) and then the "Select" text besides the title of the Moment. It should look like this:

User uploaded file

And then all photos should be marked at once:

User uploaded file

But with thousands of photos connecting to a Mac, if your Desktop is a Mac, and then launching Image Capture and delete all photos this way will be quicker.

Apr 13, 2015 9:49 AM in response to léonie

I think time has eroded away some of the options. Yosemite 10.10.3 / iOS 8.3 doesn't seem to offer any bulk way of removing photos.

Image Capture just bonks when you hit delete. Dragging all photos to the trash does nothing.

The new Photo app no on Yosemite offers little to nothing in the way of removing images on the iPhone. Typically a import then remove from device option isn't even present.

At one point I had 4.7GB of photos and videos that built up. I could no longer take a photo or a video while on vacation. I started to go in to photos and manually remove them, but this was highly time consuming. I then could do it by moments but again, 3 years, several locations = highly time consuming.

FAIL

Sep 30, 2015 11:39 AM in response to jbucklee

I'm running Yosemite 10.10.5 and trying to make space for an IOS 9 upgrade on a tiny 16G iPad 4.

The iPad has almost 2G of photos. I had OS X Photos import and delete the images. There's a check-box that says "Delete after importing." I checked it. The photos remained on the iPad, undeleted.

When I connect Image Capture, the program assures me the iPad contains no photos. When I visit the OS 8 Photos app, I see thousands of photos in hundreds of "Moments." When I check under "Usage" I'm shown almost 2G of photos.

Now I've attached Image Capture and I'll just leave it for an hour or so to see if any photos appear. Something tells me it still won't work. It's as if a photo ceases to exist (as far as OS X is concerned) once it is imported.

How do I mass delete photos in iOS 8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.