Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do iPhoto and Adobe Elements Organizer compare?

I just installed Photoshop Elements 13 and am curious how others compare iPhoto 11 and Adobe Elements Organizer 13 compare.

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Dec 20, 2014 12:50 PM

11 replies

Dec 20, 2014 1:15 PM in response to Bob1177

Sorry - no one here uses Adobe elements organizer - you need to read about both and make you own comparison - ours was to use iPhoto and that is who is here - iPhoto users - not consultants or general photo software experts, just experienced iphoto users

One for sure difference is system integration - iphoto is fully integrated into OS X - Adobe Elements Organizer is not (No MyPhotoStream, no shared PhotoStreams, no iCloud integration of any sort)

And for sure you can not use the two together - you have to pick one or the other

LN

Dec 21, 2014 7:58 AM in response to Allan Eckert

Allan Eckert ,

this is what i call a real answer to a simple question !

One more thing Bob, you can definitely use Elements's editing power without using its organiser. But because it's an outside editor, you'll have to reimport the pics into iphoto ( foolproof : send to "desktop", then drag-drop to iphoto ) . WARNING: do not use the "save" command, use the "save as", which will create a new pic!

Dec 21, 2014 8:01 AM in response to clodo9

One more thing Bob, you can definitely use Elements's editing power without using its organiser. But because it's an outside editor, you'll have to reimport the pics into iphoto ( foolproof : send to "desktop", then drag-drop to iphoto ) . WARNING: do not use the "save" command, use the "save as", which will create a new pic!

This is not how an External Editor works.

You can set Photoshop (or any image editor) as an external editor in iPhoto. (Preferences -> General -> Edit Photo: Choose from the Drop Down Menu.) This way, when you double click a pic to edit in iPhoto it will open automatically in Photoshop or your Image Editor, and when you save it it's sent back to iPhoto automatically. This is the only way that edits made in another application will be displayed in iPhoto.

Dec 21, 2014 8:05 AM in response to clodo9

But because it's an outside editor, you'll have to reimport the pics into iphoto
WARNING: do not use the "save" command, use the "save as", which will create a new pic!

This is totally incorrect - in fact it is exactly backwards

You do NOT have to reimport anything and you always us the "Save" command - never the "Save As" command

If you want to use PSE as an external editor you simply set it correctly and it seamlessly edits your photos returning them to iphoto - no importing involved - simply proper set up by a knowledgeable person setting PSE as the external editor, setting PSE to save JPEGs and using the Save command in PSE to complete the operation and return the photos to the iphoto library - very simple and seamless

LN

Dec 21, 2014 8:36 AM in response to LarryHN

terence and larry,

i definitely suggest Bob KEEP iphoto as a "first", "inside iphoto" editor, because of its easy, fast, simple editing power, while keeping Elements as an outside editing machine!

For my part, i definitely prefer being able to see both pictures ( un- and edited ) side-by-side in iphoto, and that's only feasible if you choose the "save as" option .

Finally, i urge bob to try by himself the solutions proposed, and decide by himself...

Dec 21, 2014 8:45 AM in response to clodo9

Again, then why not post the full story. If you "definitely prefer being able to see both pictures ( un- and edited ) side-by-side in iphoto" then you should say that's your requirement. When you write "WARNING: do not use the "save" command, use the "save as", which will create a new pic!" you need to specify what app you'r referring to. When you post these half-written answers which don't explain what you mean, which don't answer the question and which don't include your peculiar requirements then you add confusion and don't help.

Dec 21, 2014 1:41 PM in response to clodo9

Ok - but that is not what yu said - you stated that the way to do it was

But because it's an outside editor, you'll have to reimport the pics into iphoto ( foolproof : send to "desktop", then drag-drop to iphoto ) . WARNING: do not use the "save" command, use the "save as", which will create a new pic!

That simply is totally incorrect

You may prefer to do things that way but this forum is only about helping people do things correctly - not to make unqualified, incomplete statements about you personal desires - especially when your way is a poor way to do things

If you feel like posting things like I knew the correct way to do thing sis A but I like to do things this way and describe your way that is good - making statements stating that the only way to so thing is you incorrect way is out of line

LN

Dec 22, 2014 7:30 AM in response to Bob1177

Thanks to all who posted comments. I have been using PSE 8 as an external editor for some time. When I upgraded to PSE 13 because I now have a 64 bit processor I noticed that Bridge was replaced by Adobe Elements and wondered about others impressions about it compared to iPhoto. Incidentally I have always used the Save command to save into iPhoto. When I wanted to make sure I could go back to the original I simply duplicated the image in iPhoto and then edited the duplicate. Occasionally I would simply want the edited image outside of iPhoto and use the Save As command. That was mostly where I severely cropped and reduced file size for posting on Craigslist. I wanted those images in folders related to a particular listing.

Dec 22, 2014 9:51 AM in response to Bob1177

To use PSE 13 as the external editor in iPhoto be sure to select the correct file when selecting PSE from iPhoto's Advanced preference pane. It should be the Photoshop Elements Editor.app and not the Adobe Elements 13 Organizer.app. With PSE 10 the editor app was located in the Support Files folder.

User uploaded file

With iPhoto 9 if you edit a photo with PSE and do just a Save (i.e. no layers and you're saving as jpeg) iPhoto will recognize the edit, change the thumbnail accordingly. You can do further edits with PSE on that photo or do a Revert to Original on it to get back to the original file.

However, that edited version can't be edited with iPhoto without duplicating the edited file in iPhoto and then editing the duplicate. This message comes up:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

How do iPhoto and Adobe Elements Organizer compare?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.