Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 12 won't access Gracenote. "Get track names" returns error message "No error"

Running iTunes 12.0.1.26

MacOS Yosemite 10.10.1

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013)

Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), 13-inch display, Late 2013

Posted on Dec 20, 2014 1:19 PM

31 replies

Feb 12, 2017 6:31 AM in response to marvelousm

its now 2017 and it's still an issue! My late 2015 purchase of the MBPr is my first Apple computer. As I get deeper into its use, I'm becoming less a fan Of the Apple platform. I Tunes is supposed to be part fun time on a computer, I don't need the hassle. Your comment was so on point.

Question: did this work around FINALLY solve the problem? Or did the bug reappear after an upgrade? Thanks.

Dec 27, 2014 3:21 PM in response to HamiltonOrganist

i have exactly the same problem: cannot submit personal trackname to nor get trackinfo or coverinfo for new CDs.

errormessages

• an empty window with the itunes logo in the left and the phantastic message "no error", when i want to get infos.
  • "User not registered for online use", when i want to send data to gracenote

what i did to solve it:

• delete all apple.itunes.whatever.plists in th preferences folder of my user account
  • and i reinstalled itunes afterwards (as described in several different threads) ...

this did not work !

can anyone help me ... or us?? it's anoying ... my big mac does the gracenote sync like it did it always ... and there i also did all updates to an actual yosemite ...

sys config: yosemite with all updates possible and freshly repaired permissions and completely emptied caches (everything ONYX can do).

Dec 31, 2014 1:30 PM in response to HamiltonOrganist

i guess i got it. i deleted more than the others, an one of them should have been it.

itunes gets covers from itunes store again! yipiie ei yeah!

first i deleted ALL itunes-preferences-files in the user-library:

• the ones beginning with com.apple.itunes. ...
  • i found a file called "CDDB Preferences" ... perhaps this was it
  • but infact i deleted everything, that sounded as if it could have a relation to itunes or music
  • path to those files is [your system volume] / users / [your user account] / library / preferences
  • it's okay to delete preferences files; you won't harm your system or software doing so ... the worst effect will be, that the program whose preferences you deleted forgot all settings you entered.
  • a deleted preferences file has the effect, that the software writes a brand new one during its next start, hopefully without the errors of the old file, that prohibited your software to work properly.

then i deleted all itunes caches. you find them on several places around the system:

• [your system disk] ▸ [users] ▸ [your account] ▸ Music ▸ iTunes ▸ Album Artwork ▸
  • Library ▸ Caches ▸ com.apple.iTunes (this one i didn't delete)
  • ... are there more?

itunes semi-behaved like at the first start after installation:

• asked to accept the AGBs
  • i had to enter my itunes-account
  • but the music library was still there

after all, i guess it was the marked file ... CDDB preferences. but because i did more than one thing, before i restarted itunes, i cannot be 100% sure.

hope this will help you guys.

Feb 19, 2015 9:32 AM in response to freudigerregt

I generally followed the instructions in this post. I couldn't find a "CDDB" file, but I deleted all "iTunes"-related preferences files, rebooted, and then downloaded the latest version of iTunes did a new install of iTunes.

It worked! When I put in Audio CDs, iTunes now goes to CDDB and can find track information.

I've had this problem for at least a couple months now. I knew it had to be a bug because iTunes could get track information on one Mac and couldn't on another Mac. Glad I stumbled onto this specific thread and finally solved this problem. I'm surprised Apple still hasn't addressed/solved this bug.

Thanks to all who posted on this thread!

iTunes 12 won't access Gracenote. "Get track names" returns error message "No error"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.