Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Air 2 screen slow/unresponsive when plugged in.

Just got an iPad Air 2 128 GB yesterday. It is up to date with iOS 8.1.2.

I noticed right away last night that it was having trouble keeping up with me while I was typing a text message to a friend. Letters would skip, or sometimes they would double or triple.

I seem to have narrowed it down to only happening when the iPad is plugged in.

I've tried the following combinations:

- Lightning cable that came with the new iPad, plugged in to my MacBook Pro = delays

- Lightning cable that I use for my iPhone 5, plugged in to my MacBook Pro = delays

- New Lightning cable plugged in to the new plug block = delays

- Old Lightning cable plugged in to the new plug block = delays

So I don't believe it's the cable, or being plugged into the laptop rather than the wall. As soon as the cable is unplugged, the iPad is fine. When plugged in, I can test by bringing up the keyboard and typing AQAQAQAQAQAQ for instance, and you can see the keyboard not registering several of my touches. Unplug, do the same test, it's 100% responsive. I have reset the iPad (it was brand new to begin with anyway), that didn't help. I left it plugged in to iTunes overnight (thinking maybe it's because it was brand new and catching up to all my apps), but today, it's exactly the same.

I really don't want to have to go back to the maul on Christmas week... so I'm hoping there's something else going on.

Anyone?

Posted on Dec 20, 2014 2:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2017 6:43 PM

I have had this issue intermittently for 2 years, typing double and triple letter, or nothing at all (also difficulty scrolling on Safari web pages). Once I saw your post and unplugged my iPad Air 2, problem immediately went away (like night and day). Thanks so much for sharing your solution - worked for me like a charm!

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 18, 2017 6:43 PM in response to jammie-g

I have had this issue intermittently for 2 years, typing double and triple letter, or nothing at all (also difficulty scrolling on Safari web pages). Once I saw your post and unplugged my iPad Air 2, problem immediately went away (like night and day). Thanks so much for sharing your solution - worked for me like a charm!

Oct 29, 2017 11:02 PM in response to sebi2121

It's quite fascinating, but it's not the case.

I purchased a PowerPort 2 Elite charger to use while on the road recently. I never actually used my iPhone SE or my iPad Air 2 when it was plugged-in: I just used this device for charging.

When I got home, I happened to try subbing the original Apple charger and cable for the PP2E. Suddenly, I was losing touches and/or double- and triple-touching.

This discussion has certainly proved to me that the culprit is my third party charger. Take a look at text I typed into the Notepad app with nothing else running and Background App Refresh disabled (along with everything else I could think of to isolate the trouble):

This is a writing test to see how well the thing responds unplugged.

S is a riiingg. T t t you ll the thinespo.

This is a writing test to see how well the thing responds unplugged.

This is a writing test to see how well the thing responds with the apple genuine charger and the apple genuine cord.

The "S is a riiingg." line of text was the result of plugging my PP2E in and immediately typing.

So there you have it. I went back and forth several times before I was convinced this was really happening. I can confirm this has nothing to do with heat buildup--at least not for me--as I was quite literally plugging and unplugging the PowerPort 2 Elite over and over, quickly, and had the problem/had no problem, etc., the next time I touched the screen.

(Incidentally, I'm partially disabled, so although I do have my iPad on a stand to hold it at the proper height for me, it's not in any kind of case. 1/4" bungees hold it against the perforated stand, and there is no warmth detectable).

Not entirely certain what to do with this information, except stick with Apple's chargers. Not my first choice for recharging quickly, but probably no major drawback, either.

Thanks to to everyone on this thread for your thoughts and insight!

Jan 7, 2015 3:00 PM in response to Dorion

UPDATE:

The iPad seemed to normalize after a few days, but then the problem started again a couple of days ago. I called Apple Support, and it wasn't something they were familiar with. They had me do the usual reset, and that didn't help. So today I went to the Apple Store and swapped my iPad for a brand new one.

And wouldn't you know, the new one is doing the same thing. I am setting it up right now, and when entering passwords etc., it's behaving exactly the same way. I've tried it plugged in, and not plugged in... the problems occur whether it's plugged in or not. Ultimately, the one I traded back in was also stalling/skipping/doubling when unplugged as well.

I hope someone sees this issue and has a suggestion for me/us. It seems unlikely that I got two once-in-a-lifetime bad units back-to-back.

Feb 16, 2015 8:36 AM in response to Dorion

Same problem on my air 2. I've had it since lauch weekend, and it just started having this issue yesterday. i hadn't realized being plugged in was the culprit until I saw your post- at least I can type normally by unplugging. I'm using a 10' insignia brand lightning cable, but I've had no other trouble with it- since you're having the same problem using apple cables I think it must be an iPad issue.

So Apple, at least two users have this issue....

Jun 30, 2015 1:55 AM in response to Dorion

I'm having the same problem with my iPad Air 2: changing cable and charger didn't help.

The iPad Air 1 didn't show the same issue, with the same OS version and accessories, so it's likely to be a hardware-related problem.

I've read various people who had their iPad replaced, only to find that the issue was still there.

I'm afraid it might be a general problem for all Air 2 tablets out there.

Dec 17, 2015 1:38 AM in response to Dorion

I Have this same exact problem... The strange thing is that it occurs only when I plug in my iPad in specific places, as my university studying room... When I'm at home it works fine even when It's plugged in. It could be caused by different conditions of the device's insulation, I try to guess, as I've heard other users reporting that removing the cover or touching the metal back of the device resolves the issue

Dec 19, 2015 10:15 AM in response to Oceansoul221

Same problem began yesterday after receiving my new Ipad Air 2 on the 2nd of december 2015...

Occured when plugged in and back to normal if I unplugged it. Not only the Ipad keyboard behaves strange with repetitions of chars or delays, games also show unstability in the touchscreen (trembling, not responsive for a second or two, etc...)

This is an Ipad we bought in Santiago, Chile as we live there....

Regards (sigh!!!)

Jan 21, 2016 3:51 PM in response to ArminoGris

I had the same problem, sluggish while charging from a low battery (ios9.3). I then removed the aftermarket case, and the problem stopped!

The case was insulating the aluminum heat sink back, and preventing the battery from cooling while charging. The ios then would slow down the processor to prevent excessive battery temp. I called up apple and they verified that they strongly against aftermarket cases that cover the back. I noted that apples' smart cover only covers the screen, and leaves the aluminum open air.

Bottom line, don't cover up the aluminum back.

Jun 21, 2016 10:49 AM in response to Dorion

This is very likely related to a faulty power adapter/charger.

If it is the stock Apple charger, get it replaced under warranty. If you are using some off-brand AC-USB charger, dump it in electronic recycling. If it is a public charging point, stop using it.

I had the same problem but only with some chargers at work that turned out to be dodgy. The device seemed slow and hot, but it turned out that the touch-screen malfunctioning causing many screen taps not to register.

Switching to a second authentic Apple charger at work fixed the issue for me. A high-quality 3rd party charger should be fine as well of course.

Oct 13, 2016 3:54 PM in response to rydinlt1

Sounds like unrelated issue to me. If you have AppleCare or an extended warranty with your credit card, definitely have it checked out. If out of warranty you are looking at $300(?) for a replacement unit from Apple - not sure what the current pricing is in your area. Unlikely to help, but maybe a fresh wipe/install of IOS10 might be worth a shot first.

iPad Air 2 screen slow/unresponsive when plugged in.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.