Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

'Installer' drive keeps showing up

I've been using a brand new 13' Macbook Pro w/ Retina for a couple weeks now, and this weird 'Installer' drive keeps mounting itself at least once a day. A drive will just show up on my desktop and every time i eject it, it mysteriously reappears. When I open the drive, there is just a installer package but I don't want to open it because I have no idea what it is. I've attached some screenshots for reference.

When I first got this computer a few weeks ago, I didn't restore from a Time Machine back-up or anything, I just moved my important data over and installed all of my apps and stuff brand new. Most of the applications on my computer are from the app store but theres a handful that I've downloaded from other sources. Have I downloaded some type of virus that wants me to unpack it from this installer?

Has anyone encountered something like this before?

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Posted on Dec 20, 2014 4:28 PM

10 replies

Dec 20, 2014 6:17 PM in response to jhallett17

That is an adware installer. If you have opened it, you will have adware installed on your computer. You can find and remove it using my Adware Removal Guide.

This will not solve the problem of that installer disk, though. That is a disk image somewhere on your hard drive that is being opened. Select that Installer disk and choose File -> Get Info. In the General section of the info window that opens, there will be a path given for the disk image file that this disk represents. That disk image file needs to go into the trash. This will cure the problem of the reappearing Installer disk, and removing any adware that might be installed will complete the process.

(Fair disclosure: I may receive compensation from links to my sites, TheSafeMac.com and AdwareMedic.com, in the form of buttons allowing for donations. Donations are not required to use my site or software.)

Dec 21, 2014 8:13 AM in response to jhallett17

jhallett17 wrote:

The path says '/private/tmp/tmpinstallermc.dmg'

Do you know where I need to go to find it?

In the Finder, choose Go to Folder from the Go menu and paste that path into the dialog window that opens, then click the Go button. It'll take you right to that file.

Since it's in that folder, that means some other adware installer that you must have run downloaded it there and is continually trying to prompt you to install it. You need to deal with that adware as well, whatever it may be.

Dec 23, 2014 12:54 AM in response to thomas_r.

I had the exact same problem as well, and know only the basics when it comes to computers. I could not find the file using Finder>Go>/private/tmp/tmpinstallermc.dmg, nor could I find it using spotlight.

I do, however, keep my computer very organized (I'm a grad student and this is my work computer) and noticed a new file in my Applications folder called 'InstallMac', I deleted this file, since I know I did not put it there.

Is there anything else I need to do other than deleting the file and cleaning out my trashcan? I ran a free version of AVG after deleting the file.

***Edit***

I downloaded the suggested Adware Medic mentioned in an earlier post. It found 5 items buried in my Libraries, but was able to get rid of them.

Jan 10, 2015 9:23 PM in response to jhallett17

Just had the same problem on my Macbook and talked to Apple Customer Support and through screen sharing he showed me how to get rid of it. From your desktop click Go > Go to Folder > Type in ~/Library/ > LaunchAgents. Once I got to this folder, I had three Genieo files (which he said were known malware files). I moved those to the trash, securely emptied my trash, restarted my computer, and it hasn't come back since. Good luck!

Jan 11, 2015 4:48 AM in response to shelbiee

shelbiee wrote:

From your desktop click Go > Go to Folder > Type in ~/Library/ > LaunchAgents. Once I got to this folder, I had three Genieo files (which he said were known malware files). I moved those to the trash, securely emptied my trash, restarted my computer, and it hasn't come back since.

That's not really adequate to remove Genieo. There are other files hanging around, some of which may still be active, even if you no longer have the symptoms of a Genieo infection.

'Installer' drive keeps showing up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.