Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does 2nd generation AirPort Express work better with Airplay than 1st generation?

I have been using a 1st generation AirPort Express to stream music from my MacBook Pro for the last few years. It has never worked well. Connection tends to drop out requiring the AirPort Express to be restarted at the powerpoint. Even worse, every so often the setup disappears and I have to set it up again through AirPort Utility.

I am hoping that if I upgrade to a 2nd generation AirPort Express, it will solve these problems? Does anyone know if it will? Or is it just as bad?

Thanks!

AirPort Express 802.11n (1st Gen)

Posted on Dec 21, 2014 12:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2014 12:16 PM

Since the second generation AirPort Express uses the same basic 2x2:2 MIMO antenna design as the first generation, it would be difficult to predict whether it would provide "better" streaming performance over the first generation model ... in YOUR current network configuration. By that I mean, whatever is preventing your current Express from streaming well, will be present for the new device. I would suggest that you first attempt to remove or, at least, reduce any form of Wi-FI interference BEFORE replacing the device with a newer one.

The only real difference between the two models is that the 2nd gen version offers simultaneously dual-band operation and an additional Ethernet port.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 21, 2014 12:16 PM in response to soujo

Since the second generation AirPort Express uses the same basic 2x2:2 MIMO antenna design as the first generation, it would be difficult to predict whether it would provide "better" streaming performance over the first generation model ... in YOUR current network configuration. By that I mean, whatever is preventing your current Express from streaming well, will be present for the new device. I would suggest that you first attempt to remove or, at least, reduce any form of Wi-FI interference BEFORE replacing the device with a newer one.

The only real difference between the two models is that the 2nd gen version offers simultaneously dual-band operation and an additional Ethernet port.

Does 2nd generation AirPort Express work better with Airplay than 1st generation?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.