Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to reduce photo resolution within iPhoto

I have a lot of pictures in iPhoto taken at 12 MP that I know I'll never need to do anything with at very high resolution. I want to be able to still see them full screen in iPhoto, but I don't need them be quite so high and have a file size of 3-4 MB each. Is there a way within iPhoto to selectively reduce the resolution of photos? I know I can export them, reduce them with other software, then import them back, but this is not a feasible option for thousands of photos. Thanks for any help.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Dec 21, 2014 5:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2014 6:46 AM

You can not - that is not the way iPhoto works - you can not change the file size of a photo in iPhoto

You can export the photo at a smaller size (see Exporting From iPhoto for export option details ) and then import it as a new photo and delete the old one using iPhoto - - but the real solution is to change your camera settings - if you do not want large images then do not create large images to begin with

LN

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 21, 2014 6:46 AM in response to Larry McJunkin

You can not - that is not the way iPhoto works - you can not change the file size of a photo in iPhoto

You can export the photo at a smaller size (see Exporting From iPhoto for export option details ) and then import it as a new photo and delete the old one using iPhoto - - but the real solution is to change your camera settings - if you do not want large images then do not create large images to begin with

LN

Dec 21, 2014 6:56 AM in response to LarryHN

Thanks. I knew I could export it with different settings, but just thought I'd ask if there was a way to batch edit the existing resolution. I use Camera+ on my iPhone 6 and I've already changed the settings back to "Normal" size, which is even more than I need. I had it set to "Pro" which is full resolution in TIFF format with lossless compression. "Normal" is full resolution, but with low compression and saved at medium size.

Dec 21, 2014 7:16 AM in response to Larry McJunkin

If you can select all photos that you want to convert at once - from an album or an event, you can export them all at once with a different pixel size.

Use the subfolder format "Event name" and "Filename" format "Use filename". This way, the photos will be exported to folders corresponding to your events and keep their original filenames.

User uploaded file

How to reduce photo resolution within iPhoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.