Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I tell from Activity Monitor if I need more RAM?

My Macbook Pro (mid 2012, i5, 4GB RAM) runs quite slowly sometimes, especially since upgrading first to Mavericks and then to Yosemite. I am trying to work out if it would be better to upgrade the RAM or to consider a SSD. I have looked at the Activity Monitor but I don't understand what it is saying. The memory pressure graph is always green but "memory used" seems to be almost all of the physical memory a lot of the time. Screenshot here:

User uploaded file

What does this mean? Some of the time, "memory used" drops to about 3.5GB. I am surprised that I don't see the graph turn yellow or red.

If I could only upgrade the RAM (to 8GB) or to SSHD (or possibly put a small SSD in the CD bay), which would be best? Budget under £100.

Thanks

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Dec 21, 2014 3:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2014 3:16 PM

About OS X Memory Management and Usage

Using Activity Monitor to read System Memory & determine how much RAM is used

OS X Mavericks- About Activity Monitor

Understanding top output in the Terminal

The amount of available RAM for applications is the sum of Free RAM and Inactive RAM. This will change as applications are opened and closed or change from active to inactive status. The Swap figure represents an estimate of the total amount of swap space required for VM if used, but does not necessarily indicate the actual size of the existing swap file. If you are really in need of more RAM that would be indicated by how frequently the system uses VM. If you open the Terminal and run the top command at the prompt you will find information reported on Pageins () and Pageouts (). Pageouts () is the important figure. If the value in the parentheses is 0 (zero) then OS X is not making instantaneous use of VM which means you have adequate physical RAM for the system with the applications you have loaded. If the figure in parentheses is running positive and your hard drive is constantly being used (thrashing) then you need more physical RAM.

Adding RAM only makes it possible to run more programs concurrently. It doesn't speed up the computer nor make games run faster. What it can do is prevent the system from having to use disk-based VM when it runs out of RAM because you are trying to run too many applications concurrently or using applications that are extremely RAM dependent. It will improve the performance of applications that run mostly in RAM or when loading programs.

In your case one possible interpretation of the little information you've posted is that the computer is using swap space. If the use of swap continues to increase then you are running out of RAM. You are also using compressed RAM which does not mean you must add more RAM, but like swap space it is an indicator. Ideally, you'd like these to be 0 except under rare heavy usage conditions.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 21, 2014 3:16 PM in response to talltom79

About OS X Memory Management and Usage

Using Activity Monitor to read System Memory & determine how much RAM is used

OS X Mavericks- About Activity Monitor

Understanding top output in the Terminal

The amount of available RAM for applications is the sum of Free RAM and Inactive RAM. This will change as applications are opened and closed or change from active to inactive status. The Swap figure represents an estimate of the total amount of swap space required for VM if used, but does not necessarily indicate the actual size of the existing swap file. If you are really in need of more RAM that would be indicated by how frequently the system uses VM. If you open the Terminal and run the top command at the prompt you will find information reported on Pageins () and Pageouts (). Pageouts () is the important figure. If the value in the parentheses is 0 (zero) then OS X is not making instantaneous use of VM which means you have adequate physical RAM for the system with the applications you have loaded. If the figure in parentheses is running positive and your hard drive is constantly being used (thrashing) then you need more physical RAM.

Adding RAM only makes it possible to run more programs concurrently. It doesn't speed up the computer nor make games run faster. What it can do is prevent the system from having to use disk-based VM when it runs out of RAM because you are trying to run too many applications concurrently or using applications that are extremely RAM dependent. It will improve the performance of applications that run mostly in RAM or when loading programs.

In your case one possible interpretation of the little information you've posted is that the computer is using swap space. If the use of swap continues to increase then you are running out of RAM. You are also using compressed RAM which does not mean you must add more RAM, but like swap space it is an indicator. Ideally, you'd like these to be 0 except under rare heavy usage conditions.

Dec 21, 2014 3:28 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks. What you say makes sense, though when I run the top command, I can't see any info on pageouts. Is it swapouts? And if so, which number is the important one, since there is a number followed by (0) in brackets. Can you interpret:

User uploaded file

Also, the slow running is not due to trying to play games etc - it's trying to work with a few apps open at the same time such as safari, Word, Outlook, iPhoto, iTunes, sometimes Adobe Photoshop Elements, sometimes a PC program running on a Wine emulator. Even without the last two, which I can understand would eat memory, it can still be slow.

Many thanks

Dec 21, 2014 3:40 PM in response to talltom79

They have changed the names to "swapins" and "swapouts." Mean the same thing. What you want to look at is the number in parentheses for the "swapouts" report. In your posted report it appears that you are not having memory problems. However, earlier in the report you will find that you only have 95 MBs of unused memory. When free memory gets this low the system can begin slowing down, but this isn't the result of running out of memory as yet, but the system may soon run out and start using virtual memory. This is using the hard drive to provide memory because the memory demands cannot be met by physical memory. This is where things really grind to a halt.

In a 4 GB memory system that runs like this most all of the time I would say can benefit from adding more RAM.

How can I tell from Activity Monitor if I need more RAM?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.