Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MIDI issues with LOGIC PRO X and KORG synthesizer

The problem : I have three failed choices. My synthesizer is connected to Logic. I can only hear what I record in the speakers of my synthesizer.

1 - Make a audio track. Record my melody into logic from the synthesizer. Playback (on mac) a poor quality recording. THE PROS: This track is savable and I can move it around in the tracks.

2- Make a software instrument track. Choose (in my inspector) the external plugin as KORG CHROME. I record - and bam! My playback ONLY plays through the speakers connected to my synthesizer. NOTHING in my mac's speakers plays any sound. I can't SAVE or BOUNCE this track. Nothing shows up but a lonely metronome. Additionally, if I was playing a Grand piano and switch to drums (making a new software instrument track below the original Grand Piano) Logic chooses to play only Drums or Piano.

3- MAke a External Midi track. I choose my synthesizer. I get the same results as option 2.

PLEASE help. I've been at this for four days

I have LOGIC PRO X 10.1

I have a mac Yosemite.

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on Dec 21, 2014 4:07 PM

47 replies

Dec 21, 2014 4:31 PM in response to adamtrilling

Lets get a base of your connections first.

How is the Korg connected to the computer, list all connections.

Don't just say MIDI connection, there is more than one kind.

Are you using a separate audio connection?

Do you know how to create a screen snapshot, how about making a snapshot of the Preferences/Audio page, the page that it opens up to with the IN/OUT Devices and I/O Buffer.

The Korg comes with software and/or software drivers? if so, have you downloaded the latest versions?

Dec 21, 2014 4:46 PM in response to Pancenter

+1 Pancenter's comments....

Plus, this might help you too.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_L5DUBE3AQ

Note: remember, Midi is data, not Audio...... so to hear something through your Mac you need to be sending the audio from your Korg to the Mac.. usually via an external Audio interface of some kind... and the audio outputs of your Korg...

Dec 21, 2014 9:02 PM in response to The Art Of Sound

The Art Of Sound wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_L5DUBE3AQ

Note: remember, Midi is data, not Audio...... so to hear something through your Mac you need to be sending the audio from your Korg to the Mac.. usually via an external Audio interface of some kind... and the audio outputs of your Korg...

+1

Since the O.P. said he's made an audio recording of poor quality it didn't dawn on me until later that he hasn't set up Logic's preferences correctly if at all, the audio recording is probably from the MBP's internal mic picking up the speakers plugged into the keyboard.

So yes, MIDI has nothing to do with audio or sound coming from your Mac's speakers, unless you're triggering one of Logic's software instruments and you have Logic's audio preferences setup correctly.

Logic is not plug & play, you have to set it up for your hardware, Logic was originally designed to use external/3rd party audio interfaces for professional use so there are a lot of built-in options.

Here's a link to Logic's audio preferences setup. I always suggest reading because you have to develop a different set of skills than being shown something.

http://help.apple.com/logicpro/mac/10/#lgcpbb81aca5

Dec 22, 2014 11:03 AM in response to adamtrilling

The USB Cable is a MIDI Interface only, at this point it sounds like you have two MIDI inputs going on.

You have to understand that neither MIDI nor USB MIDI transfers actual sound, you will not hear the Korg Krome through the computer speakers by using MIDI. The Korg's audio outputs would have to be routed into the computers "audio in" and software monitoring enabled in Logic. (it is according to your preferences). MIDI is a data recording of your Keyboard performance, what note you played, how long you held it...etc.

If you notice that the Logic "Input Device" is set to "System Setting", click and hold on top of that and see what other options are shown.

Here is the support page for the Krome.

There are USB MIDI drivers and other options available.

http://i.korg.com/SupportPage.aspx?productid=646

Dec 22, 2014 11:12 AM in response to Pancenter

Now that I understand that the midi input only connects the keyboard perfomance and does not transfer actual sound...what do you recommend I do? my goal is to use Krome in my DAW as if it were a software synthesizer. (its own instrument)

My input device has two other options - built in microphone or system audio recorder . Should I see something related to my Korg there?

What would the usb midi drivers do? Is that the missing link?

Thank you so much for your quick response.

Dec 22, 2014 11:52 AM in response to adamtrilling

adamtrilling wrote:

Now that I understand that the midi input only connects the keyboard performance and does not transfer actual sound...what do you recommend I do? my goal is to use Krome in my DAW as if it were a software synthesizer. (its own instrument)

My input device has two other options - built in microphone or system audio recorder . Should I see something related to my Korg there?

What would the usb midi drivers do? Is that the missing link?

Thank you so much for your quick response.

No, you will not see anything for the Krome under Input device... If there's a missing Link in your setup it's an actual Audio Interface. This is what you would plug the Korg audio outputs into. Then you could run the Korg as an external instrument.

The USB drivers would simply give you a USB MIDI interface. What you might do if find out which MIDI interface is being used, by unplugging

Also what will be helpful is reading the Korg manual in regards to MIDI use and also clearing up your understanding of how Audio and MIDI work together in Logic. Again, this would make more sense if you had an audio interface, as "Art of Sound" mentioned in his post. It sounds like you have a good idea of the different kinds of tracks Logic uses, I suppose you've been able to play one of Logic's internal instruments from the Korg keyboard.

Korg does have an AU plugin/Editor for the Chrome which may in fact help integrate the Chrome into your system, however it's only a 32-bit plugin and will not run on the newer operating systems.

p.s. the poor audio recording you made is because the system setting is using the Mac's built in Mic. So right now the built-in Mic is your audio interface input.

Dec 22, 2014 12:22 PM in response to adamtrilling

Since you're using an MBP and Yosemite I think "Art of Sound" should make a recommendation, as I use an older operating system and do not know what's compatible with Yosemite.

Also, figure out which MIDI interface is working, unplug the USB and see if you can still record MIDI, if not switch them. There should only be a single MIDI in for your needs.

Dec 22, 2014 3:51 PM in response to Pancenter

As I have very limited experience with Yosemite... mainly because I couldn't get Yosemite and Logic Pro X to play well together... and still cannot, to be honest...my recommendation would simply be a Motu Ultralite because it worked fine with Yosemite, as far as I can tell.. I have heard no complaints from any of my clients that have them and have upgraded to Yosemite.... and the driver support and build of the unit has proven itself time and time again, over the many years I have owned these models...

http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/ultralite-mk3

Note: I use the Ultralites, which the Hybrid version provides for both USB and FW800, via a FW800 to TBolt adaptor with the Macs i own that no lomger have FW800 ports and I have had no issues at all, doing so. I do not recommend using the USB2/3 to connect to the Ultralites... even though they can be quite stable i gather.. I just have never had much luck with UISB2/3 interfaces whenever OS X gets upgraded whereas using FW800 ports via FW800 or TBolt adaptors on my Macs.. never seems to an issue.

Bear in mind a mistake many seem to make and that is simply... People spend $2-3k+ on a Mac and software and then spend about $100- $150 on a cheap audio/midi interface... and wonder why they have issues with both performance and compatibility.... It's much like putting $50 tires on a $150K Ferrari.... and then wondering why it drives like a Kia.... 🙂

However, as i said, my experience with Yosemite is limited so maybe others here, who have been more successful with using Yosemite and LPX together, might offer alternative advice as to which other Audio interfaces to consider...

Cheers..

Nigel

MIDI issues with LOGIC PRO X and KORG synthesizer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.