Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

airdrop only works one way

I'm having a lot of problems with airdrop. It is moody and only works when it wants too.

I have an iPhone 6 and a brand new iMac running Yosemite.

Both have bluetooth on and both are set to airdrop: everyone.

I can send from the phone to the imac 100% of the time.

I can only send from the imac to the phone about 25% of the time.

I'm at home on a Comcast wifi network.

I just now sent 2 photo's from my iphone to my iMac, worked perfectly.

Then I immediately tried to send a screenshot from the imac to the iphone. It just times out. Sadly I need that screenshot in the iPhone.

This happens almost all of the time for me. Why is airdrop so spotty? About an hour ago I was able to send from the iMac to the phone but again it only works that way about 25% of the time.

Help!

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), new 27" iMac, iphone 6, ipad, etc.

Posted on Dec 22, 2014 8:32 AM

2 replies

Dec 23, 2014 9:35 AM in response to susan-kelly

Hello there, Susan.

It sounds like you're having issues sending content using the Airdrop feature in Yosemite. The following Knowledge Base article provides some great pointers for sending content using that feature:

Mac Basics: AirDrop lets you send files from your Mac to nearby Macs and iOS devices - Apple Support

Some things to keep in mind, mentioned in the article:

Don't see who you're looking for?

When you select AirDrop, OS X looks for other Mac computers and devices that are nearby that also use AirDrop. If you don't see someone in the AirDrop window, here are some things to check.

Preventing senders

You can prevent people you don't know from sending you files, or you can allow everyone. If you don't see a recipient in the AirDrop window, they might only accept files from people who in their Contacts list. Ask them to add you in their Contacts app, or have them select the option "Allow me to be discovered by: Everyone" in the AirDrop window.

Sending files to and from an older Mac

If a Mac you're using with AirDrop was manufactured before 2012, you can send and receive files with other Mac computers.

User uploaded file

1. On the sending Mac, click "Don't see who you're looking for" in the AirDrop window.
  2. Select the option to "Search for an Older Mac."
  3. On the receiving Mac, open a new Finder window and click AirDrop in the sidebar.

Tips for sending files

• Make sure Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are enabled on your Mac and your iOS device. Although you don't have to connect to a specific network, Wi-Fi needs to be on to send and receive files using AirDrop.
  • Move your devices closer together. AirDrop is designed to work within a range of approximately 30 feet (9 meters). If you need to send a file to someone farther away, consider using File Sharing, iCloud, or email instead.
  • If you're using a firewall on your Mac, you won't be able to receive AirDrop files if you have enabled "Block all incoming connections" in the Security & Privacy pane of System Preferences.
  • Make sure your devices meet system requirements for AirDrop.

System Requirements

To see if your Mac works with AirDrop, make sure you’re in the Finder by clicking the desktop (the background area of your screen), or by clicking the Finder icon in the Dock. Then, check to see if AirDrop is listed as an option in the Go menu. If you don't see AirDrop listed, your Mac doesn't support this feature. In order to transfer files between a Mac and and an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch
  • your iOS device needs to include a lightning connector
  • your iOS device needs iOS 7 or later installed
  • your Mac needs to be a 2012 or later model with OS X Yosemite installed
  • Your Mac and iOS device both need bluetooth and Wi-Fi turned on. You do not have to be connected to a specific Wi-Fi network.
To transfer files between two Mac computers, you need the Mac models listed below with Wi-Fi turned on and OS X Lion or later installed.
  • MacBook Pro (Late 2008 or newer)*
  • MacBook Air (Late 2010 or newer)
  • MacBook (Late 2008 or newer)*
  • iMac (Early 2009 or newer)
  • Mac Mini (Mid 2010 or newer)
  • Mac Pro (Early 2009 with AirPort Extreme card, or Mid 2010)

*The MacBook Pro (17-Inch Late 2008) and the white MacBook (Late 2008) do not support AirDrop.

For help identifying your Mac, choose About This Mac from the Apple menu. You can refer to the Apple Support website to find out if your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch includes a lightning connector.

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

Pedro.

airdrop only works one way

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.