Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mirror issue

Recently purchased AppleTV and am using an iPhone 4S and iPad 3rd generation. The tv set up my account information and I was able to get wireless working. When I went to mirror a song through the TV, no Airplay option showed. Can you mirror your device to AppleTV without programming the remote app? I tried to programed both devices to the Remote App and it continually stated I need to turn on Home Sharing on my computer when it was on. The Apple TV is not showing the device names to click and enter the 4 digit code. Each device shows a code, but I have no place to put the code. I tried to turn it off, on, restart the computer, the devices, and the tv. All my devices are on the most current iOs.

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Dec 22, 2014 10:41 AM

4 replies

Dec 22, 2014 1:44 PM in response to mcm145

When I went to mirror a song through the TV, no Airplay option showed

Have you turned AirPlay on on the Apple TV.

Can you mirror your device to AppleTV without programming the remote app?

The Remote App has no part to play in AirPlay.

I tried to programed both devices to the Remote App and it continually stated I need to turn on Home Sharing on my computer when it was on.

Try restarting your router first..... The following article(s) may help you.

Troubleshooting Home Sharing

The Apple TV is not showing the device names to click and enter the 4 digit code

I'm not sure what you are referring to here, please elaborate.

Dec 22, 2014 7:34 PM in response to Winston Churchill

Thank you for the reply. Below are a few items/responses.

Yes, I have turned on Air play on the AppleTV and it does not offer the mirror.

When I was trying to add an iTunes Library in the Remote application, the device provided me a four digit code and instruction to go to General, Remote, Remote App select my device name and use the four digit code. My apple TV never shows a device name under Remote App on the AppleTV and I do not see anywhere I can enter the code.

Other things that I have done. I rebooted the router like suggested. I did not have success with that. The only success that I had for Airplay to work was when I had my Samsung PC plugged into my router and and plugged into the appleTV. With this configuration my iTunes showed the Airplay and let the music play. Once the Ethernet cable was removed from the TV, Airplay functionality deceased. No device ever showed in the Remote application and I verified that all Home Sharings were on. Even turned off and turned back on as suggested and that they were on the same network. I also added the appleTV IP address to my Router.

Any other suggestions?

Dec 23, 2014 3:35 AM in response to mcm145

mcm145 wrote:

Thank you for the reply. Below are a few items/responses.

Yes, I have turned on Air play on the AppleTV and it does not offer the mirror.

For the avoidance of doubt, the mirroring option is not offered from the Apple TV but from the iPad and then only from the control centre.

When I was trying to add an iTunes Library in the Remote application, the device provided me a four digit code and instruction to go to General, Remote, Remote App select my device name and use the four digit code. My apple TV never shows a device name under Remote App on the AppleTV and I do not see anywhere I can enter the code.

I see, you don't need to do this, this is for very old iTunes libraries and the Apple TV 1, you will be using home sharing instead.

Once the Ethernet cable was removed from the TV, Airplay functionality deceased.

That essentially confirms your network as a problem.

A frequent cause of consistent failure to enable AirPlay or HomeSharing at all, is the service being blocked on the network. Make sure your network isn't hidden, has a unique name, that MAC address authentication is disabled, security is set to use WPA 2 Personal and that there is only one router/device acting as a DHCP server and providing NAT services.

Make sure your router/computer allows access over the following ports

Port

Type

Protocol

Used By

TCP/UDP

DNS

DNS

TCP

HTTP

AirPlay, iTunes Store

TCP/UDP

NTP

Network Time

TCP

HTTPS

AirPlay, PhotoStream, iTunes Store

TCP/UDP

RTSP

AirPlay

UDP

SSDP

Bonjour

TCP

DAAP

iTunes, AirPlay, HomeSharing

TCP

-

Bonjour

TCP/UDP

-

Bonjour

UDP

NAT

Bonjour

UDP

NAT

Bonjour

TCP/UDP

MDNS

Bonjour, AirPlay, HomeSharing

8000-8999

TCP

-

iTunes Radio Streams

42000-42999

TCP

-

iTunes Radio Streams

UDP

MDNS (Win)

Bonjour, AirPlay

UDP

MDNS (Win)

Bonjour, AirPlay

Refer to your router manual/manufacturer for any settings that are specific to that model.

Another frequent cause of consistent failure to enable AirPlay or HomeSharing at all, is security software, in many cases configuring it correctly, disabling it or even uninstalling it can help, but in some cases the security software can cause problems that simply reconfiguring, disabling or uninstalling cannot reverse.

If you are consistently unable to activate AirPlay, have tried all the steps in this article and have security software installed on your system, you might benefit from contacting its provider or participating in any online forums they run to discuss the matter with them.

Dec 23, 2014 4:51 PM in response to Winston Churchill

I appreciate the help, although things haven't worked. I changed to the WPA 2 personal and attempted to check the ports, but was unable to locate how. I strongly believe it has to do with my laptop. Samsung has this Intel WiFi Utility program and the network name isn't the same as my wireless. I have attempted to manually add the Apple TV to that name and add my devices to it, but that isn't a internet connection and the devices tell me i need to join a wireless network. I have also attempted to create a new network with the same name as my wireless and the AppleTV never connected. I feel I have exhausted many options for resolving this and have a strong feeling this was wasted purchased.

If there are any ideas, I would be willing to attempt.

Thank you again and Happy Holidays.

Mirror issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.