Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won't my iPhone 5 from ATT unlock?

Has anyone had issues with getting their iPhone 5 unlocked by ATT?

I called 611 and ATT says my iPhone 5 is eligible to be unlocked, but the request via webform gets denied, then they submitted an IT case and emailed me a few days later saying it should be unlocked. I did the steps in iTunes to restore the device, but it's still locked. I tried the same restore button in iTunes 12 four times over the next few days and while the phone restored, it still isn't unlocked. I didn't get the congratulations your phone is unlocked message and I also took it to TMobile to have them test a new SIM card. It was purchased on contract just over 2 years ago and the contract has been met, even ATT says it is eligible for unlock. So I called again and they're opening another IT case. I just don't see why this time would be different. Basically I have no recourse, no one in a store will talk to me about the problem and the phone team just keeps giving me the run around (yes they can unlock it, but for some reason that they can't explain/help me with they can't and it's still not unlocked 2 weeks later). Anyone have any tips or specific email addresses or phone numbers that may be unlisted to get more specific help with this unlock?

iPhone 5, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Dec 22, 2014 11:39 AM

17 replies

Dec 22, 2014 11:42 AM in response to hake0305

If you contact Apple and provide the IMEI number, they can check to see if the Next Activation Policy says AT&T or Unlock. If it says AT&T, then AT&T hasn't processed the request. If it says Unlock, then they have. Be advised, that's the extent that Apple can support you. If it's not unlocked yet, it's still AT&T that has to do this on their end.

Dec 24, 2014 10:28 AM in response to hake0305

i figured out the problem, I did not have an active SIM in he phone. I've been using my 6 plus for almost 2 months now and was unlocking this 5 to give to a family member to use. It would have been helpful if ATT would have mentioned this in the 3 times I talked to them about troubleshooting or if it had been in Ny of the step by step guides either from them or Apple. I put in my active SIM and got the message that it was unlocked after restoring.

Jul 22, 2015 12:34 PM in response to GGrmy2015

Same here for me. Trying to activate iPad mini 2 from Tmobile to Sprint. Sprint says everything in their system says it should work. Sprint support says something is blocking it from the device. I've done what is described in my unlock email from Tmobile, but I never get the message that it's been unlocked, like the unlock procedure says I should. Tmobile has said they have sent 3 unlock commands to Apple's servers and Apple says they have no control over the process and won't acknowledge that Apple is even involved. I would assume that since the device has to be hooked to iTunes, something is going on through Apple's servers...

Frustrating!

Why won't my iPhone 5 from ATT unlock?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.