Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iphone 6 is stuck on recovery mode after trying to get the latest update. I have tried all the basic steps to fix it yet nothing has worked. It wont even let me restart it from my computer because of error 53?

My iphone 6 is stuck on recovery mode after trying to get the latest update. I have already gone through all the basic steps to fix the problem yet my phone is sill on recovery mode. It wont let me shut it off, or even restore it on my computer because of error 53. what the heck is error 53??? Im getting pretty upset because this is a brand new iphone six so it should not be having these problems.

Posted on Dec 22, 2014 1:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2014 1:44 PM

You can see this support document for help with update and restore issues. If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

This support document lists information about specific error messages. Resolve iOS update and restore errors - Apple Support

Also a search of the forum here will yield information about error 53 as well.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 22, 2014 1:44 PM in response to cflynn12345

You can see this support document for help with update and restore issues. If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

This support document lists information about specific error messages. Resolve iOS update and restore errors - Apple Support

Also a search of the forum here will yield information about error 53 as well.

Dec 26, 2014 3:01 PM in response to MAKRAMKASSEM

I was updating my iPhone 6 through my computer (windows 8) and as it started updating for some reason halfway through it was interrupted by an error code.

the phone is now in recovery mode showing the connect to iTunes sign. I tried to restore it about 10 times and I keep on getting the error code 53.

I have updated iTunes to the latest version I took the phone to a apple reseller who tried restoring it with a MacBook and we got the same error code.

Can anyone help?

Dec 27, 2014 12:36 PM in response to MAKRAMKASSEM

Same thing happened to me with my iPhone 6 and 8.1.2 update (except that I got error code 56). Nothing I tried worked (including what was suggested above); phone totally unusable. So I took it to the Genius Bar and the Genius plugged my phone into his laptop, which restored it without any trouble whatsoever! I asked him what I should have done if I lived 300 miles from an Apple store, and he said to call Apple Support and they will walk you through to a solution.

Jan 3, 2015 10:09 AM in response to MAKRAMKASSEM

I had the same problem with a 2 week old iPhone 6. I couldn't restore the phone as each time it would stop half way through and come up with Unknown Error Code 53. After searching the sites I gave up and went into the Apple Store and when they plugged into their MacBook they same problem. Ultimately they said it was a hardware issue and replaced the phone.

Apr 29, 2015 7:21 AM in response to cflynn12345

It’s not possible to do that without iTunes.

If you have a PC or Mac with iTunes installed, you can bring the device in DFU mode by performing the following steps:

• Connect the iPhone to your computer
  • Press and hold the Home button and the Sleep button at the same time
  • After 10 seconds, release the Sleep button
  • Continue holding the Home button until this iTunes message shows up: "iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode. You must restore this iPhone before it can be used with iTunes"

User uploaded file

You can then restore it to the latest iOS version. Please be aware that this will erase all the data on your device and will restore it to the latest iOS version (iOS 8.3.1 as of Mar 1st, 2015).

Please note: In DFU mode, the iPhone’s screen will remain black until you invoke the firmware restore. If it shows a "Connect to iTunes" screen, you are not in DFU mode but in recovery mode.

Oct 6, 2015 11:25 PM in response to cflynn12345

User uploaded file

My husband is experiencing this with a brand new iPhone 6 which was just replaced by Apple in London last week as the touch screen died on his last. We are getting error message 9.

Tried to restore several times as well as follow the steps TIGERAVIIDE recommends. Anyone have any other ideas? Phone was bought unattached from network in US, we are currently living in Qatar where there is no apple store. Found Apple support to be TERRIBLE when you cannot visit an apple store.

My iphone 6 is stuck on recovery mode after trying to get the latest update. I have tried all the basic steps to fix it yet nothing has worked. It wont even let me restart it from my computer because of error 53?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.