Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installation of Network Time Protocol Security Fix

Hi....

Per App Store, I installed the fix with no issues clicking "install now." But, Mom's Mac did the automatic install. She saw the message window saying a security update was installed. But, in the Application Store Upgrade section, this security upgrade is not listed. Previous software updates are listed. For "fun of it" I downloaded the pkg with the update and "re-installed" it on my Mac, It installed.

Questions:

1. Did I mess up my Mac by doing the install twice?

2. If not, can I do the same on Mom's Mac to be sure the update is installed?

3. Why wouldn't the automatic install (on Mom's machine) not show up on the list of updates? Is this the usual state for automatic updates?

4. What could I look at to see if the update was installed besides the lupdate list where it doesn't show up.

Thanks!

Mac mini (Early 2009), iOS 8.1, null

Posted on Dec 22, 2014 5:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2014 5:31 PM

But, in the Application Store Upgrade section, this security upgrade is not listed.

That's normal, if you have the relevant checkbox in System Preferences > App Store selected. If you did they will install without user intervention. See #3 below.

1. No, certainly not.
  2. You can if you wish.
  3. Not enough information to determine. Your Mom's Mac may not have required the update.
  4. There is a list here but at the moment it has not yet been edited to reflect this most recent update.
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 22, 2014 5:31 PM in response to beaglemutt

But, in the Application Store Upgrade section, this security upgrade is not listed.

That's normal, if you have the relevant checkbox in System Preferences > App Store selected. If you did they will install without user intervention. See #3 below.

1. No, certainly not.
  2. You can if you wish.
  3. Not enough information to determine. Your Mom's Mac may not have required the update.
  4. There is a list here but at the moment it has not yet been edited to reflect this most recent update.

Dec 22, 2014 5:50 PM in response to beaglemutt

I'm not sure I interpreted your question 4 correctly. One quick way to determine whether the update was installed is to use Console, and open the install.log file. Filter for "NTP". If it has been installed you will find an entry similar to the following:

Dec 22 13:05:36 iMac5.local installd[5737]: Installed "OS X NTP Security Update" (1.0)

You can also use Terminal (the following is for Yosemite):

iMac5:~ john$ what /usr/sbin/ntpd

/usr/sbin/ntpd

PROGRAM:ntpd PROJECT:ntp-92.5.1

iMac5:~ john$

Dec 22, 2014 6:03 PM in response to John Galt

John, many thanks! Took me a bit to find the install.log, but yes, the entry was there. For my "self install" on the package, log said, "Installed "NTPUpdateYosemite-2"

BTW: I checked the fingerprint of the package I downloaded, and it did not match the fingerprint in this Apple article at How to verify the authenticity of manually downloaded Apple Software Updates - Apple Support But, the fingerprint of the package I downloaded did match the fingerprint of the package for the "Digital Camera RAW Compatibility 6.02" package that came out Dec 15th. So, I think that the package I used was legit. Make sense?

ALSO...I did find this info on Apple website posted today. About OS X NTP Security Update - Apple Support It has terminal command for seeing if your NTP is updated. [Just saw you edited your reply to include this]

And, finally....Thanks so much for helping a relative newbie to software "stuff"

Dec 22, 2014 6:09 PM in response to beaglemutt

The -2 appended to your results probably means you downloaded the package a second time. It would be normal for OS X to append -2 to the name if a file already exists by that name.

I don't have an explanation for the SHA-1 difference, and since I didn't download the package manually I didn't verify it. If you are certain you downloaded the package from Apple and not some potentially rogue site (such as may be found by Googling, and is not likely given the recency of this update) it's not worth worrying about.

Installation of Network Time Protocol Security Fix

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.