Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The Airdrop on my Mac isn't picking up any other devices.

I have a newer Mac desktop and when I click on airdrop it doesn't see my iPhone or iPad any suggestions?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Dec 22, 2014 8:57 PM

16 replies

Dec 31, 2014 8:33 PM in response to raider1996

I have solved my AirDrop issue after way too many read throughs of Apple Support posts... These were the MOST helpful ones that I have found, figured I'd share:

✅ FIX #1: Turn on Bluetooth on your iOS (Settings Bluetooth) and Mac (System Preferences Bluetooth Turn Bluetooth On).

FIX #2: If you have a firewall enabled on your Mac, go to System Preferences General Security & Privacy Firewall Firewall Options and ensure that "Block all incoming connections" is not checked.

FIX #3: Double Check Restrictions on your iOS: Go to Settings → General → Restrictions and make sure AirDrop is switched ON.

"Fix #3" was my issue, I had restrictions turned on my iPhone 5S, and had not enabled AirDrop. Hope this Helps Everyone! 🙂

Tasha

Feb 12, 2015 1:42 PM in response to TEAREM

Hi

I have checked all these Fixes 1-3 and also do not have the links at the bottom of Airdrop Finder window to "allow everyone" and "find older macs"!!!!

I do not see any device on either the laptop or iPhone (allow everyone on).

Both have Bluetooth on, Block in firewall is not on, WIFI is on, icloud is the same on both

(incidentally imessage has only worked once )

2014 Macbook Pro OSx.9.5 and iOS 5s 8.1 and iMac 2013 OSx.9.5

Sep 11, 2015 3:17 AM in response to raider1996

I am having a similar issue:

I have tried solutions 1 - 3.

I have an iphone 6 running IOS 9.1, and my macbook pro (late 2013) running El Capitan Gold Beta. I haven't been able to get Airdrop to work at all on this computer ever (Yosemite or otherwise). My firewall is off. My iphone is set to everyone and my bluetooth is on, on both machines. Double checked restrictions

Any suggestions???? The airdrop works from photo to other phones! On a different note - the iTunes WIFI sync is also not working properly which seems odd. It may be unrelated.

Help please!

Nov 9, 2015 4:57 PM in response to raider1996

Hi All,

I have a Late 2009 iMac running El Captain. The version is up to date (10.11) and I have tried steps 1-3 with no success. I am using my iPhone 5S and iPad Air, neither are able to airdrop to my mac. They are able to air drop to each other.

If I open my Finder, I have the airdrop option, but no devices appear in the airdrop setting. Where have I gone wrong?

User uploaded file

Sep 16, 2016 10:42 PM in response to sberman

Does Airdrop work on OS X 10.11.6? Late 2015 iMac, doesn't see anything on airdrop. Apple support can't get it working. Internet searches haven't found anything that works yet. I have a macbook, iPhone and my son has an iPhone too, they all airdrop easily, only the late model iMac that doesn't work.

Firewall is off, bluetooth and wifi on, airdrop in finder, ... no other devices visible. Both bluetooth and wifi work, required for my keyboard and track pad. Working internet connection via wifi.

If I click 'get info', just get a spinning wheel on 'fetching more info'

Just hoping someone has encountered a reason, system preferences or some other reason why Airdrop does not work.

fingers crossed

Mark

Sep 17, 2016 8:53 AM in response to mc.thompson

You might want to start your own post since this one is from last year. A new post would be much more visible. You can link to this one. Post in the El Capitan community.

Airdrop works with 10.11.6. Did it ever work on the computer?

Try running the combo update. It installs all previous updates plus the new one, which can replace any files that may have become corrupted.

10.11.6 combo update

The Airdrop on my Mac isn't picking up any other devices.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.