Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Have one contact that I can't FaceTime or iMessage off my iPad can it be fixed?

My FaceTime and iMessage is activated as I can iMessage and FaceTime other contacts in my phone. There is one contact that has an iPhone and they have their FaceTime and IMessage activated as my daughter can FaceTime/iMessage them. The contact lives in America and I have the right international code and right phone number. I only own an iPad and have no iPhone. I live in Ireland. Also I have tried deleting the contact and entering the contact. Is it possible to fix it as I really want to FaceTime over Christma? Thanks

iPad Air, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Dec 23, 2014 2:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2017 12:22 PM

My husbands just got an iPhone and I'm having the same problem. The "FaceTime" option doesn't show up on his contact card. He was able to FT me, though, and then by going into the FT app and "replying" I could contact him. Bit of a long winded way but it's a solution for now until we work out why!

20 replies

Dec 24, 2014 2:45 PM in response to Ninty91

Hi Ninty91,

I have the very same problem with my iPhone 6. I can't initiate a FaceTime call through the address book (contacts) to one specific contact, but at the same time my wife can with her iPhone 5s. I haven't figured out how to ultimately fix the problem in a way that the FaceTime option will show up in contacts, but I found a work around that might work for you as well:

1. Delete the phone number in question from the contact (no need to delete the entire contact)

2. Open the FaceTime App and enter the phone number manually, including the country code (e.g. +1 for the US, +44 for the UK, etc.)

3. Tap the phone number that shows where you would normally see the contacts name (if that phone number were still in contacts)

4. A list with call options will open up, where you can tap on FaceTime or FaceTime Audio

It won't fix the issue of FaceTime not being available through the address book, but it should allow you to make your Christmas FaceTime call.

Regards,

Andreas

Mar 16, 2016 5:54 AM in response to mzaur

This is the exact problem I have also. I agree that it must be an iOS issue, since I can FaceTime them on my MacBook and iPad, but not on my iPhone. It is very strange, since I don't have the issue with anyone else. I will say that they are probably the only contact that doesn't also own an iPhone, so perhaps that could be part of the issue.

Oct 1, 2017 6:49 PM in response to mpreisman

This is my situation as well, but they have an iPad, and they are able to FaceTime Video with ME - I just can't initiate the FaceTime video to THEM. I have the e-mail address in there, too. It's very strange. Clearly ... this is a First World problem, but it seems that it's one that we should be able to solve. Thanks for the input. We'll keep trying.

Dec 24, 2014 7:55 AM in response to Ninty91

Hi Ninty91,

I'm sorry to hear you are having issues with FaceTime. I also apologize, I'm a bit unclear what exactly is happening or what you are seeing when you try to initiate a FaceTime call with this contact, or they with you? For more general FaceTime troubleshooting, you may want to double-check the steps outlined in the following article, just to make sure everything is set up correctly:

iOS: Troubleshooting FaceTime - Apple Support

Regards,

- Brenden

Jun 4, 2016 12:16 PM in response to mpreisman

I had exactly the same issue. ipad2 (but I don't have an iphone). See below* for the solution that worked for me.

One contact would not work for facetime - facetime didn't even appear as an option for this contact. Nothing I tried worked.

When I deleted the contact I could search for the same person via facetime; I could then facetime them successfully - so it was a real puzzle. Clearly not a problem with the person I was trying to contact.

Creating a new contact with the same details also didn't fix it. Tried all the usual other solutions that are often suggested - nothing worked.

*The solution that worked for me:

In the problem contact, add a second email address....the same one as the primary (facetime) address. For some reason this second (identical) email address seems to have kickstarted facetime (and imessage)... no idea why, but it does work. Same solution worked on my daughter's much newer ipad air.

Just glad it now works...! Maybe a big brain at Apple can work out why this is happening?

Have one contact that I can't FaceTime or iMessage off my iPad can it be fixed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.