Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Problem with iCloud" message keeps coming up

I have a MacBook Pro and use Safari and ever since I upgraded to Yosemite (and maybe that's just a coincidence--I have no idea), I keep getting a message that pops up saying that iCloud cannot connect to *********@gmail.com. It gives me a link to System Preferences and suggests that I click there to fix the issue. The problem is that when I click there, it asks me for the Apple ID password for ********@cstone.net (which is an account that I have, but NOT one that should be associated with my iCloud account). I enter every password I can think of and then it tells me if I forgot my password to click here. So I do and I enter that email address to have it send me a link to reset my password and it says it sent but nothing ever arrives. Elsewhere I am able to log in with my gmail account and the password that I know and cstone.net is not listed among my email addresses on my account. So where is this coming from and how can I get this annoying message to stop popping up on my screen? Thanks!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Dec 23, 2014 5:40 AM

4 replies

Dec 23, 2014 7:34 AM in response to 3isenuf

Here's the exact message that pops up: "This Mac cannot connect to iCloud because of a problem with ******@gmail.com. Open iCloud preferences to fix this problem." Then when I click on the preferences tab I get this: "Enter your password to continue using iCloud. Verify the Apple ID password for ******@cstone.net." If that email account IS associated with my iCloud account, I have no idea how to get into it or how to change it. Can I even change it without losing things? I'm at a loss here.

Dec 26, 2014 11:58 AM in response to 3isenuf

Same issue with me too. I keep getting prompted to enter an iCloud password for a particular email account, yet I deliberately have no email accounts managed on iCloud. Happened after I upgraded the OS to Yosemite. Also using Macbook Pro and Safari, same as OP.

I'm also concerned there might be a new default setting on iCloud that pulls in data from email accounts that you don't want managed on the cloud, for security and privacy reasons.

May 1, 2015 2:23 PM in response to 3isenuf

I finally called Apple Support and my problem was fixed in under 10 minutes. It seems as if I changed the email address associated with my iCloud account a while back. I had forgotten I did this--it was so long ago. And although I did it properly, I never "signed out" of my old one. Don't ask me why this was never an issue until I upgraded to Yosemite. That's when I started getting the messages that would pop up multiple times a day.

So to fix it, I went to the apple icon and then to System Preferences. I clicked the iCloud icon and along the left side of the next screen it showed me that I was still logged in to my old email account (the one that was no longer supposed to be associated with my iCloud account). So I had to click "Sign Out" and then say yes--delete to the next question or two. (The tech on the phone explained that nothing was being deleted from my computer except my connection with that old email address that I don't use anymore.) Then I logged in with what I thought was my current account all along and the problem has been solved! I hope this makes sense and can help someone else because this issue drove me nuts for months!

"Problem with iCloud" message keeps coming up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.