Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fonts looking bold on my browsers

Hi everyone,

I'm using a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) with OS X Yosemite.

For some reason I don't understand on all my browsers (Safari, Firefox and Chrome) in some pages, included Wordpress Dashboard, Admin, etc,... fonts appear in bold.

I searched online and try everything, clearing duplicates on Font Book, clearing cache in all browsers after that.

This is just a screenshot of one of the pages I've been visiting.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Did any of this happen to you guys? I would appreciate some help here.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Dec 23, 2014 6:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2017 2:20 PM

Hi! I know this question is old but I wanted to share my solution as well:

My problem stemmed from the fact that I had just downloaded a Photoshop file which had some fonts I did not use, prompting Typekit to ask whether it could resolve the missing fonts. I said OK, which is where we run into the problem; the font I tried to resolve was OpenSans which is I believe what Wordpress uses as well. It started to drive me pretty crazy, so I just turned 'Resolve missing fonts' on Typekit off (here's a link on how to do that). I'm sure there's a way you can turn off the Typekit resolving of OpenSans specifically, but it wasn't necessary for me. Hope this helps.

22 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 1, 2017 2:20 PM in response to oscarabizandacreative

Hi! I know this question is old but I wanted to share my solution as well:

My problem stemmed from the fact that I had just downloaded a Photoshop file which had some fonts I did not use, prompting Typekit to ask whether it could resolve the missing fonts. I said OK, which is where we run into the problem; the font I tried to resolve was OpenSans which is I believe what Wordpress uses as well. It started to drive me pretty crazy, so I just turned 'Resolve missing fonts' on Typekit off (here's a link on how to do that). I'm sure there's a way you can turn off the Typekit resolving of OpenSans specifically, but it wasn't necessary for me. Hope this helps.

Dec 27, 2014 10:17 AM in response to Eric Root

Hi Eric,

I turns out that we didn't solved the problem yet.

I narrowed to that only happens with Wordpress websites.

As advised by Apple Support Staff, I created a new User and then it is fine. Obviously it is not a long term solution

and I'm almost positive that the problem is some file in the Library.

I followed the usual troubleshoot methods, as per clear cache and cookies, etc,.....

If you have any suggestions, please I would appreciate any all the help I can get.

Anyway, tomorrow I will talk to Apple Support again and I will post any extra information I'll get.

Thanks guys.

Dec 28, 2014 3:33 AM in response to oscarabizandacreative

Hi guys,

I have some more input about my problem.

I created a new User on my machine, moved all my files there, while I was waiting to Apple Support to call me today.

Everything was fine, no bold font, etc,....

Then, I tried to add the favourites from my other user to Safari and Firefox, the browsers don't actually saved them, imported several times in both browsers and nothing.

Also tried to set up Google as my homepage in Safari, it allows me to set up as Homepage: current page, but it doesn't work.

After I performed this tasks I gave up and started working, and then is when the same problem (bold font on Wordpress sites, as far as I know) in my new user.

I don't know what to do people, I'm really stress about it, I make a living of designing and building websites, so this is a big deal(problem) for me.

I would really appreciate some help from anyone out there in the community.

Thanks.

Jan 1, 2015 7:52 AM in response to oscarabizandacreative

Hi everyone,

I officially announce that the issue I had in my laptop has been solved.
There was not a problem with WordPress as we knew, there was not a problem with my machine itself (Library).

It was a problem with a Desktop Application I use with my Adobe Creative Cloud account, it is an interface where you can access to your essential.
For some reason I don't know right now, but I will ;), this application was creating a conflict with how my browsers displayed some fonts.

In the next days I will contact Adobe and find a solution to use the application and not having such a problem.

Thanks again for all your time and effort.

Happy New Year.

Jan 2, 2015 2:31 AM in response to oscarabizandacreative

Hi Oscar,

I have also bought my Macbook Pro a few days ago for web development and I am having the same issue. I tried logging in to the guest user and it seems fine there. Actually my issue is bigger since fonts are bold on lots of websites..and huge. I also have Adobe CC and MAMP, I have no idea what the issue might be but I need to fix it. What was your problematic application?

Thanks in advance!

Jan 2, 2015 3:54 AM in response to eveto

Hi eveto,

I can't say I'm happy to hear that, but at the least confirms my suspicions that the problem was the application.

I spent hours with Apple Support, really helpful people, and after trying everything, I figured out that the problem only happened in the user I was signed in Adobe Creative Cloud application.

As far as I can see there is not a problem if you sign in once you are in Photoshop or any other program.

Just be careful and uninstall the application or when you sign in through Photoshop, Illustrator, etc,.. the program will launch the desktop application and you will have the issue again.

It took me 10 days to figure it out.

Really happy to help someone in the same situation.

I'm planning to contact Adobe, but if you find out something else I would really appreciate if you share the info.

Cheers.

Jan 2, 2015 5:49 AM in response to oscarabizandacreative

Hi again,

all of the sudden it fixed itself. Strange thing is I am not really happy about it since I dont know if I did sth to fix it or not 🙂 I also had another huge issue with fixing the resolution and font sharpness and here is a thread that FIXED IT!

I am soo glad about that. Sorry if that is not the place for it but I am really hoping it il also help others.

http://www.ireckon.net/2013/03/force-rgb-mode-in-mac-os-x-to-fix-the-picture-qua lity-of-an-external-monitor

Feb 18, 2015 9:54 AM in response to oscarabizandacreative

I had the same problem. What fixed it for me was removing the open sans font from my system. I had all but normal open sans font installed on my system for some reason. Then Adobe CC syncs open sans the normal style when I logged in which made everything work fine. So the solution for my case was to completely remove open sans from my Apple Font Book. Everything is perfectly fine now. Hope this helps someone.

Fonts looking bold on my browsers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.