Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using MacBookAir for Travel and Leave Pro at Home

I have a MacBookPro which I love but I worry about having everything with me when I travel and to be frank, my 15 inch is just a little big. I'm getting ready to do a 6-month tour of France and need a computer for accessing the web and my files. I was thinking of adding a macBookAir to my arsenal of Mac products and using this for travel but I also want many of the programs I have loaded on the Pro. I'd also need to have access to my files so I also need some way to access my Pro remotely.

Any thoughts on how best to achieve my goals and not break the bank? Is there a way to link the Pro and the Air so I keep the Pro as my main computer at home and travel with the air for convenience? Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Dec 23, 2014 11:50 AM

5 replies

Dec 23, 2014 12:05 PM in response to Mermaid232

Is the total size of your files far too large to fit on the MBA SSD you are planning for? If so then why not put what you need on a small portable external USB drive.

Accessing your other computer remotely means the other computer must remain powered on at all times with the AC adaptor connected. It isn't difficult nor costly to be able to connect to your home computer, but it may be more reliable to simply carry what you need on an external drive. You don't need to carry it with you at all times. On the other hand you may be able to take everything you need on the MBA's SSD if it has a large enough capacity.

Dec 23, 2014 12:21 PM in response to Kappy

Hello Kappy - Thanks for the reply and suggestion.

I'm currently using about 250 GB of storage so conceivably I could take it all. How would I reconcile the files once I returned home? I"m not sure I would feel comfortable with everything on an external drive since it could get misplaced or stolen. I"m not that tech savvy but I imagine I could lock or encrypt the drive if needed but it still makes me nervous. Your suggestion helps with the files but what about access to the programs I've got loaded on the Pro? For example, I have office for Mac that I'd like on the Air. Or my contacts.

Dec 23, 2014 12:47 PM in response to Mermaid232

The only thing you might include on an external drive would be your data. If you are using 250 GBs of storage currently just for your data, then you would need a 512 GB or larger SSD in the MBA. To be able to leave the data at home (not your applications) is to use Back To My Mac.

Set up and use Back to My Mac

Set up security options for Back to My Mac

If you have issues using Back to My Mac

Setting up and using Back to My Mac with AirPort Express, Extreme or Time Capsule

Be sure to read these so you not only know how to get it working, but also how to resolve any problems. Note that should there be a problem at home while you are away then you may lose access to your data. If your data are at your workplace's computer it may be better to arrange to access the that computer knowing that it should always be working. I would suggest having someone back home be familiar with the BTMM setup should you require such assistance while away. Also, test everything thoroughly so you know that it is working and how you use the setup - just in case you need to instruct a friend on how fix something not right with the home setup.

Using MacBookAir for Travel and Leave Pro at Home

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.