Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with Iphoto

Hello everyone!

I've been using OSX 10.5.8 in my imac until few months I installed Snow Leopard 10.6.4 with a cdroom. After that, I downloaded the update 10.6.8 and I lost my iphoto library. I saved the archive "iphoto library" in a external hard drive and I reinstall Iphoto version 8.1.2., but when I try to open Iphoto from Dock it appear a message that says:

"Contact the developer to confirm that iPhoto works with this version of Mac OS X. You may need to reinstall the application. Be sure to install all available updates for the application and for Mac OS X".

Can anyone help me out to solve the problem?

Thanks a lot 😉

iPhoto '08, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 23, 2014 10:08 AM

8 replies

Dec 23, 2014 11:40 AM in response to evasiva00

It's telling you what to do - reinstall the app.

To re-install iPhoto

1. Put the iPhoto.app in the trash (Drag it from your Applications Folder to the trash)

2. For current versions: Download it from the App Store to reinstall It's on your Purchases List* there.

For older versions that have been installed from Disk you'll need these additional steps:

2a: On 10.5: Go to HD/Library/Receipts and remove any pkg file there with iPhoto in the name.

2b: On 10.6: Those receipts may be found as follows: In the Finder use the Go menu and select Go To Folder. In the resulting window type

/var/db/receipts/

2c: on 10.7 or later they're at

/private/var/db/receipts

A Finder Window will open at that location and you can remove the iPhoto pkg files.

3. Re-install.

If you purchased an iLife Disk, then iPhoto is on it.

If iPhoto was installed on your Mac when you go it then it’s on the System Restore disks that came with your Mac. Insert the first one and opt to ‘Install Bundled Applications Only.

*Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

Dec 26, 2014 5:44 AM in response to Yer_Man

Thanks a lot, Devlin. You're very kind.

I removed iPhoto.app but I'm not sure about something:

I have an Imac (from 2008) and a laptop mac book (from 2009), I think both had the same operating system (OS X 10.5.8). Now, I only can find the System restore disk from the mac book (my problem with Iphoto is in Imac). This installation package includes two CDs 'Mac OS X Install DVD' and 'Applications Install DVD'. I guess the iPhoto app is there, right?

So my questions are:

- Can I use a system restore disk of the other computer?

- the cd that I have to use is 'Applications Install DVD', right?

Thank you so much again 🙂

Mar 2, 2015 7:11 AM in response to Yer_Man

Hello Terence again,

I finally found my System Restore disks of my old system 10.5.8 and I installed iPhoto again. With the new facility, it was created a new folder iphoto library.

My old folder 'iphoto library' saved it, so I deleted the new folder and have substituted for it. Nevertheless, when opening iPhoto pressing 'alt' he asks me for the library, I choose my old folder 'iphoto library' but nothing seems to matter (and originally weighing 69GB). What could it be happening?

I think it may be due to files there are inside of 'iphoto library' that may be changed somewhat. Inside that folder, there are files called 'contents', 'data', 'modified', 'originals' and .data and other files, but also there are two files with similar name: one is' library.iphoto' and another 'library6.iphoto '. Could it be the problem?

Thank you very much for any help you can give me.

Regards

Mar 2, 2015 8:30 AM in response to evasiva00

The problem is the database is corrupted.

Download iPhoto Library Managerand use its rebuild function. (In early versions of Library Manager it's the File -> Rebuild command. In later versions it's under the Library menu.)

This will create an entirely new library. It will then copy (or try to) your photos and all the associated metadata and versions to this new Library, and arrange it as close as it can to what you had in the damaged Library. It does this based on information it finds in the iPhoto sharing mechanism - but that means that things not shared won't be there, so no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your events, albums and keywords, faces and places back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

You can download Library Manager for older versions of iPhoto here

http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm_downloads

Problems with Iphoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.