Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't empty trash, it says that the operation can't be completed because you don't have permission to access some of the items

Can't empty trash, it says that the operation can't be completed because you don't have permission to access some of the items.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Dec 23, 2014 11:51 AM

3 replies

May 17, 2015 9:40 PM in response to gilig

I had the same problem. In my case, I have deleted time machine backup files and folders from an external USB hard drive which I was also using over the network.

Here is what solved my problem. Open Finder (or Trash). Click on Menu Finder then sub Menu Preferences. Then click on Advanced. then uncheck the last Box "Empty Trash Securely". Now you have "Empty" button in Trash instead of "Empty Trash Securly". Clicking on "Empty" cleared my trash.

I have OS X Yosemite 10.10.3

can't empty trash, it says that the operation can't be completed because you don't have permission to access some of the items

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.