Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Looking for how to clear up Windows event log errors from Bonjour

I have a very large number of event log errors from several Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium PCs of three types:

(1) event log entry of "GetLargeResourceRecord: opt 65002 optlen 8 wrong"

(2) event log entry of "ERROR: handle_resolve_request bad interfaceIndex" which counts up from 1 thru 24

(3) event log entry of "Task Scheduling Error: m->NextScheduledSPRetry 15594"

All of these PCs used to sleep/resume without issue now they are all failing to sleep. The reason they cannot sleep is caused by Bonjour, because if the Bonjour service is manually stopped, the PCs sleep just fine. Also when trying to sleep is when the (3) event log entry is recorded. Ergo, it is caused by Bonjour.

Uninstall/reinstall of both iTunes and Bonjour Print services for Windows did not resolve any of these problems. Windows 7 has all available Microsoft updates applied. Apple Software Update reports no available updates either.

This never used to be a problem, and has been introduced with a recent update. Either in iTunes/Bonjour or some Microsoft Windows automatic update.

These PCs are using iTunes with iPod Touch devices to WiFi sync, so removing or disabling Bonjour is not an option. WiFi sync continues to work btw.

Bonjour-OTHER, Windows 7

Posted on Dec 23, 2014 12:27 PM

5 replies

Jan 11, 2015 1:17 AM in response to drshock

I've had the same error occur on both my Windows 8.1 PC with iTunes + iCloud, and my MacBook.

I was able to resolve it by disabling the network card's "wake up from sleep" options:

Accessing Control Panel - Network Connections

Click Change Adapter Settings

Right click on your network connection and select Properties

Click Configure

Go to the Advanced tab

Disable any options related to waking up the Pc - e.g. Wake on Magic Packet, Wake on Pattern Match, Shutdown Wakeup

*** You may have different option names/more or less options depending on your network card

Now restart the Bonjour Service and the million event log entries should stop.

My guess as to the cause is this feature, which wants to turn your Airport or Apple TV into a Wake on Demand server, even if you dont have one!

About Wake on Demand and Bonjour Sleep Proxy

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201960

Any Bonjour client can interact with a Mac running Mac OS X v10.6 or later and cause it to Wake on Demand. For Microsoft Windows, you should install Bonjour for Windows.

Looking for how to clear up Windows event log errors from Bonjour

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.